DIY spigot on plastic fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So....

I decided to take the plunge and drill a hole into one of my plastic (PET) carboy to install a spigot. I am not sure that was the best idea. I had to lightly sand the hole on the inside to get ride of plastic "buildup" so the washer would seat properly. Now I am worried about the abrasions on the inside of the carboy. I kept it as small as I could, but I think some will extend out beyond the washer I will use inside.

Is this normal when people do this? Should I have done this a different way to prevent that?

Just make sure it gets an extra good soak in star san, and comfort yourself with the glorious feeling of not having to deal with that f'ing siphon rod/racking tube BS.

Is this normal when people do this?
Is it normal for people to drill through PET?
A ported Fermonster is around $30.

I wouldn't want to use plastic with scratches.

Just make sure it gets an extra good soak in star san
Soaking in Star San is unhelpful. It tends to leave a residue and there's no reason to think it would have higher efficacy.

I have done this. No issues. Surplus of buckets + cheap bastard = bucket with spigot. I consider fermenters to be semi disposable anyway. Good for about 40 batches, and then there are enough scratches that I worry about infection.

Back