DIY Randall--confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randall--DONE!...Not tested.

I went ahead and bought the Sears filter housing. The temptation oif a bypass was really intriguing.

So anyway, it is all together, and I'll test it tonight provided I don't go out for beers.

Dude said:
Randall--DONE!...Not tested.

I went ahead and bought the Sears filter housing. The temptation oif a bypass was really intriguing.

So anyway, it is all together, and I'll test it tonight provided I don't go out for beers.

Oooh! Now you can Randall Pliny!

That doesn't sound quite right... It's a good thing those aren't called 'Rogers.'

:D

Lil' Sparky said:
Are you guys doing something like this?

OktoberFest_051_HopbackBar.jpg

twins basil...twins

at our febrary meeting we randall'd the pliney...mmmmm

i have no real proof for the following statement but i have heard that the higher the alcohol content of said beer the higher the hop goodness extraction.

Dude said:
When I was packing up Boston's randall today, I noticed the size difference between the filters. I didn't realize the Sears filter was so big.

<playground taunt>Dude's is bigger than Boston's. Dude's is bigger than Boston's.</playground taunt>

:D

Here's my Home Depot Part list

Qt MFG Part Desc
2 - Watts A-870 3/4" MIP x 1/2" FIP
2 - Watts A-827 1/2" MIP x 1/4" FIP
2 - Watts A-80 1/4" MIP x 1/4" Flare

On the out side I attached a short piece of bev tubing to
this piece from B3:
1312.jpg

KEG630 : Flare Fitting - 1/4'' Male Flare x 1/4'' Barb
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18263

so that I could attach anything with 1/4 FFL. (My standard)

All of my Bev stuff is MFL/FFL for eas of cleaning and changeout.

Blktre said:
On hot days, i run thru the Randal first, then thru a small jockey box IceCube 14, and have the faucet mounted to the box. The Randal is mounted on top of the box. Looks cool, works great for those times when the Randal isnt getting hit hard..

this post intrigues me. I built a randal a while a go and soley use it at home but now I'm thinking about busting out my jockey box to play a little. has anybody done a taste comp between running cold beer through the randall vs warm beer through the randal into a jockey box? I'm curious. would warmer beer extract more, less, or different resins from the hop cones?

damn this thread. I thought I was gonna get some work done around the house tonight. now I'm gonna sit around a drink for 'science'!

:mug:

My understanding is that extraction is a function of alcohol% and pressure, but that could be internet hooey and by definition, so is this.

I haven't...and hate to break it to ya, but there is no gasket.

Hmmm, then what's to keep beer from spraying everywhere :confused:

I'm going to have to try it again and dial the pressure way down or make my own gasket.

Brewtopia said:
Hmmm, then what's to keep beer from spraying everywhere :confused:

I'm going to have to try it again and dial the pressure way down or make my own gasket.

<ready for jokes>
Maybe your tube is too long.
</ready for jokes>

Well that goes without saying :D

The out hose to the tap or the in hose from the keg? I think I have 5 ft. on each end.

I was thinking that if it were the slightest bit too long you would not be able to close the top tightly.

Try leaving the tube out and no hops. See if it'll seal then.

You may very well be a genius! I'm going to try this when I get home.

*Boy will I feel stupid if that was the problem all along*

Would this work? Its 90 degrees and brass, but may be cheaper if you need a few. I'm thinking about it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brass-Fitting-E...192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d23440e48

Edit: I bought two last night at my local Ace Hardware. Part # 41164. 1/4" Flare to 1/4" MPT. It was $2.79/each where I got them, sure beats buying them online with shipping. Here is the link, I couldn't search their web site by part number for some reason - had to use google.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=41164

Sorry to resurrect this thread again and in advance for my ignorance. But, why and when would you need to "balance" the pressure with the pressure relief on this thing?

Great information in this tread. Even years later. Cannot wait to try experimenting with this in my setup.

twins basil...twins

at our febrary meeting we randall'd the pliney...mmmmm

i have no real proof for the following statement but i have heard that the higher the alcohol content of said beer the higher the hop goodness extraction.

Hop resin (lupulin) is not water soluable, which is why we boil wort. It is, however, alcohol soluable. So yes, you ARE correct!

While this thread is currently resurrected I have a question.

Is it okay to use brass fittings for a randall?

Right, but the chrome is the barrier between any metal leaching, and corrosion, so I am speaking of plain brass fittings.

I don't believe the insides of faucets are coated, at least none of the faucets I have are coated. And the inner mechanisms are plain brass, I take them apart every other keg to clean them. I wouldn't worry too much...

A simple solution for the 10" filter replacement.
Unravel a rope type filter.
This is the perfect size tube to replace the filter.
The tube has holes that are too big, so just shove a stainless scrubby inside
the tube.
You will left with a big ball of string to use for whatever you want.

I'd be concerned about keeping that scrubby clean between sessions. You could replace it with a new one though.
I've read elsewhere that a Sankey spear is the right size tube. I'm going to try that.

Back