DIY - Mash/Lauter Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I found this great video about how to make your own mash/lauter tun:

Are there any other recommended methods of making an economical mash/lauter tun?

Last edited by a moderator:
By "PVC manifold" do you mean something like this:
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/4/medium/IMG_15591.JPG

I was thinking of researching methods to create a pvc/copper manifold, but it seems like the wire mesh tubing is an easier method of fabrication. Not to mention, I would like to avoid purchasing new equipment so manifold fabrication needs to be achieved through a drill and hand saw.
Are there any significant advantages over the wire mesh tube verses a pvc manifold or visa versa?

I'm pretty jealous, I wish I'd thought to make the braided tube double ended like that!

Mine just has a brass plug in the end.

By "PVC manifold" do you mean something like this:
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/4/medium/IMG_15591.JPG

I was thinking of researching methods to create a pvc/copper manifold, but it seems like the wire mesh tubing is an easier method of fabrication. Not to mention, I would like to avoid purchasing new equipment so manifold fabrication needs to be achieved through a drill and hand saw.
Are there any significant advantages over the wire mesh tube verses a pvc manifold?

Similar in design, just using CPVC. Here is my CPVC manifold https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wort-chiller-cpvc-manifold-178279/

The manifold is pretty cheap, but you need the devices to cut them! How much are you looking to spend? The cpvc can be done with a drill and saw. What type of cooler do you have? if it is a circular water type cooler you can use a vegetable steamer and a large $5 grain bag. You may or may not have those items :)

No cooler yet; I'm looking at my available options. As of right now I've got my eye on a 10-gallon Home Depot cooler with spout (circular) for $39 or a square Igloo 52-Quart w/o spout for $20. Problem with the non-spout cooler is that I'll probably have to drill a hole through some insulation.
I definitely want to spend less than it is to just buy one, which can range from $89 to $150. So maybe in the $60 range?

I wish i would have went with a Square 52 qt. With my 10 gal HomeDepot i am limited to about 1.055/1.060 OG on 10 gal batchs. When doing IPA i have to use some LME on my 10 gal batchs.

I got my 52 Quart Coleman Xtreme at a brick and mortar Kmart, so if you have one around maybe give them a call. Think it was $35. Walmart has the 70 Qt Coleman xtreme for $40 site to store. Then you need a 1/2" ball valve $6-$8 a 1/2" brass nipple $2-$5? A CPVC 1/2" threaded to 1/2" CPVC some cpvc pipe and elbows, and a 1/2" to 3/8" hose connector thing (forget the name, and assumes you are using 3/8" inner diameter tubing). Those parts should bring you around $20 or so. So I def think $60 is achievable.

I wish i would have went with a Square 52 qt. With my 10 gal HomeDepot i am limited to about 1.055/1.060 OG on 10 gal batchs. When doing IPA i have to use some LME on my 10 gal batchs.

Why can't you achieve higher OG's? Is it a matter of not being able to fit the quantity of grain needed to establish high OG's?

Ok. So I should get a 50+ quart square cooler.
Are there any advantages over a PVC manifold compared to a using a mesh tube like the one shown in the video?

Are there any advantages over a PVC manifold compared to a using a mesh tube like the one shown in the video?

This thread is a sticky in the equipment section: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/ Which tells how big your tun should be for which size batches.

The only benefit of a CPVC is if you are fly sparging since you can create a manifold design to flow/drain evenly. If you are batch sparging it doesn't matter one bit

So, of course, I got all of the parts but a cooler (can't find anything over 40 quarts) and the freakin' wire that will keep the wire mesh tube from collapsing.
Is there any advantage over a pvc/copper manifold over the wire-mesh tube set up?

You really should use CPVC, as PVC won't stand very much heat, it could flatten out if it gets too warm, but the mesh looks like a good idea

IMO, it would be better to use the larger diameter mesh from a hot water heater supply hose. I've found that the larger mesh will fit nicely over the legs of a 3/4" copper tee. I made a loop of the mesh and used SS hose clamps to secure it to both legs of the tee, then adapted the tee to the output of the mash tun. I've found it unnecessary to reinforce the mesh to prevent collapse, but if I encountered that problem, I would just put a number of copper couplings inside the mesh tube. The couplings, not being joined together, would allow the mesh to be curled into the loop configuration.

I used the braided mesh in my old MLT without any internal support and never had an issue with the dozens of batches that went through it. There's virtually no weight being put on the braid since the water can flow through it and the grains are nearly bouyant in solution. You can put whatever you want inside, but it's really unnecessary.

So, of course, I got all of the parts but a cooler (can't find anything over 40 quarts) and the freakin' wire that will keep the wire mesh tube from collapsing.
Is there any advantage over a pvc/copper manifold over the wire-mesh tube set up?

i have a cooler and no parts:)g

Only thing I can say is that I went with the cpvc manifold in my coleman 77qt extreme and I'm extremely happy with it. Very easy to take apart and clean. Also, when vorlaufing it ran clear in under a quart. Nothing bad to say about it. I don't have experience with the SS braid.

Back