DIY Custom Crown Caps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, while at Wally world last night I looked for some matte stuff in the craft section. Without knowing what I was looking for exactly. They had some stuff that was for fixing puzzles and sealing or whatever. I believe you mixed it with water and spread it on puzzles to make them permanent. Is this the same stuff?? The only other stuff was matte paint I think. They didn't have that brand.

Ok, while at Wally world last night I looked for some matte stuff in the craft section. Without knowing what I was looking for exactly. They had some stuff that was for fixing puzzles and sealing or whatever. I believe you mixed it with water and spread it on puzzles to make them permanent. Is this the same stuff?? The only other stuff was matte paint I think. They didn't have that brand.

I'm afraid it's probably not the same stuff. I'm vaguely familiar with what you are talking about and it would probably be way too viscous and adhesive. Matte medium is more like a paint (basically paint without pigment). Michael's sells it along with any self respecting art supply store.
I'd love to hear about any success stories (or otherwise) if there are any out there besides me.

Yes, you are right. I stopped by and got some anyway, just in case, and got as far as printing a logo and sticking it, but it washes right off. This stuff is more like thick glue.

Anyway, I understand what I'm shopping for (it's like an acrylic paint that dulls a glossy finish) and will probably just order online at amazon or something. Don't know if we have an art supply store nearby that would carry it.

...I understand what I'm shopping for (it's like an acrylic paint that dulls a glossy finish) ...

Just to be clear... it is not glossy in the least. In fact, it says right in the name, *matte* medium. I'm not sure if the glossy version would work, or perhaps if it would work any better, but I guess that's another experiment for another time. I'm not sure if the brand matters either, so try and stick with "Golden" brand to stay on the safe side.

wouldn't this be easier to do by printing onto round clear labels?

You'd get those chintzy looking edges on most clear plastic labels. I'm going to try waterslide paper (the stuff that model decals are printed on) to see how that works, but this matte medium method is pretty awesome.

wouldn't this be easier to do by printing onto round clear labels?

Yeah, that has been mentioned...
Crafty process and all, but you can get something like 300 clear printable circle labels for $7...
...but like SumnerH mentioned, it just looks slapped together (because it is I guess) in my opinion. My method is certainly not for large production runs or anything, but if you wanted to add a touch of class or go the extra mile, I can hardly think of any other printing method available at our scale.

Just to be clear... it is not glossy in the least. In fact, it says right in the name, *matte* medium. I'm not sure if the glossy version would work, or perhaps if it would work any better, but I guess that's another experiment for another time. I'm not sure if the brand matters either, so try and stick with "Golden" brand to stay on the safe side.

Right, it's used to dull a glossy paint sometimes according to the reading I've been doing. Anyway, I plan to buy the same brand in your picture.

I've thought about using the clear round labels too. I just don't see them as being as nice looking. Certainly faster and easier, but then I got some kids who might learn something from the process, so why not give it a go?

You'd get those chintzy looking edges on most clear plastic labels. I'm going to try waterslide paper (the stuff that model decals are printed on) to see how that works, but this matte medium method is pretty awesome.

DO you have a source for sheets of this? Let us know how it goes. I'd certainly like to see what happpens.

Jeez. Amazon wanted almost as much in shipping as the matte medium itself?

Does this stuff go by another name, or what other brands would work? A place nearby has some Krylon Matte clear, I think it was spray can though.

Jeez. Amazon wanted almost as much in shipping as the matte medium itself?

Does this stuff go by another name, or what other brands would work? A place nearby has some Krylon Matte clear, I think it was spray can though.

Acrylic medium is about as generic of a description as you can get. It's essentially acrylic paint without any pigment. In this case, I used a matte variety. Artists use it primarily to thin out acrylic paints or add/reduce luster. It is meant to be brushed on, not sprayed, so I don't think the stuff you are referring to will do the trick necessarily.
Seriously, any self respecting art supply store should have some variety of it or be able to get it for you. I see you aren't from a place that is very close to a major metropolitan area, but perhaps you could keep an eye out for shipping specials on various websites if buying local is not an option.
Sorry if I wasn't of much help, but I just haven't tried much else to perform the transfer.

Well, I called a couple of places nearby. One was more of an arthouse, and they have some classes there, but they show supplies can be purchased elsewhere. I called about /5 hour away and they knew what I wanted, but didn't have any and wasn't sure if it would be on next truck.

I ended up ordering a liquitex version form online. Shipping was still a bit high, but it cost less total and I'll have enough to last forever. With a college in town, you'd think that someone would carry this.

I finally got my matte medium.

What is it about the paper you use that makes it so much better than other paper? I'm ready to try except not sure exactly what to look for in the paper. Would a glossy photo paper work? I've got lots of sheets of that.

I finally got my matte medium.

What is it about the paper you use that makes it so much better than other paper? I'm ready to try except not sure exactly what to look for in the paper. Would a glossy photo paper work? I've got lots of sheets of that.

Glossy paper could possibly work, but remember, if the surface is non-porous, the acrylic is going to have a hard time drying sandwiched in there... and then if it did, you need to keep in mind that the paper should be able to rub off under water.
The reason I emphasized the matte, heavy-weight presentation paper is because it feels pretty much like thick regular paper, but there is likely a type of fine mineral coating that is left on top of the acrylic, keeping it from re-emulsifying under the water.
I know it probably sounds technical, but I promise it's not. If all else fails, I will be glad to mail you a sheet or two of the stuff I use so you can try it out and get a feel for what it's like.

I think we use presentation paper here at work. I'll snag a couple of sheets and try it. My foraging at Wally-World did not produce any. Did not have time to go anywhere else that day. After I thought about it, I figured out what kind of paper you meant and I think I see why it would work better.

argh.. We're out of those papers. I guess I'll just try some different ones out and see how they turn out. No reason not to experiment I guess.

Anyone tried doing this to create custom glasses. Crate & Barrel has some nice plain pilsner glasses, and I don't have any pilsner style glasses.
Do you think this would work on glasses? How durable is it? I hand wash all my beer glasses so I wouldn't have to worry about the dishwasher taking the logo off. It would be sweet to have some personalized beer glasses to go with my growing collection of beer glasses.

The technique would probably work better on a white mug than clear glass. I'd imagine it would turn out like stained glass if it actually stuck...and then there'd probably be areas of matte medium around the color that would not look attractive either. I think screen printing is the way to go for glasses.

This sounds really cool, but for some reason none of Hokie's pictures are coming up in his posts. Pictures in other peoples posts are fine. Are they still up or is it just me?

This sounds really cool, but for some reason none of Hokie's pictures are coming up in his posts. Pictures in other peoples posts are fine. Are they still up or is it just me?

Wow, thank you for bringing that to my attention. It seems as though my ol' college web space has finally expired. I will have to edit the posts to put up pics from my hard drive when I get home from work. Sorry about that!

any chance you found those pictures? i'm anxious to see what everyone was raving about

My bad...I finally got most of the pics off of my old computer. I know where the very first post's picture is and I can fix that one tomorrow. Enjoy!

those are freakin awesome! have you tried the waterslide paper yet? i looked at the link you sent and they say it can be used for die cast models so i would think it would be perfect.

I don't think I saw either of these questions asked yet.

1. Does the lacquer get under the cap at all? Is it safe for food packaging?

2. Have you actually capped bottles with these yet? Will capping potentially ruin the image or finish?

Anyone try these guys?

$14.95 for 5 caps. I guess for a special occasion it is not bad, but I think Hokies version would be cheaper in the long run.

Be sure to check out BrewToppers.com

We'll be launching later this Fall, offering a line of pre-made designs and custom beer caps for homebrewers, small craft breweries and brewpubs.

If you have any questions ping me!

It seems like if tried this on a glass that sodium silicate would work and make it through a dishwasher.

Haven't read all the pages, but looks pretty darn cool to me...

I keg so I wouldn't need many of these, but I still might try it sometime. I assume you get the acrylic medium at any craft store, etc?

All you need is some 1 inch crystal clear labels that are inkjet printable.

Hope that helps!:mug:

Thanks,

Matt Hamilton

The OP has said multiple times that he's not looking to label the caps, but to print directly on the cap.

FYI: you sound like less of a shill (esp. with 4 posts and your website as your username) if you actually read the thread before replying with no useful information and a link to your site.

My only concern with the waterslide paper is: What if you the beer is in a cooler with ice will the ice/water loosen the image? Anyone have this issue?

How about using this technique on a corny? Could have a really cool effect. I have a kegorator so I actually see my keg and would be nice at parties.

How about using this technique on a corny? Could have a really cool effect. I have a kegorator so I actually see my keg and would be nice at parties.

That would look really cool, but when I clean out my kegs, the oxyclean and starsan tend to overflow the top and run down the sides. I would assume that it would chew through the laquer and peel the paint in parts. You could be extra careful to avoid that kind of thing at cleaning time and be OK.

I followed your instructions but it keeps coming out crappy. When I start rubbing it under the water it comes off but there is a bunch of film still around it. How do you get it so there is just the picture when you rub it off and doesn't leave the film?

Yeah I tried it too and I seem to be rubbing off the color too. I have tried to do it very gently under water I've soaked them and let them sit then rubbed them and still no luck. I've even tried different color ink and it still comes off.

I got all the right stuff as far as supplies. Do you think the ink has something to do with it?

Thanks

When I do it, it seems like the medium dries around the image and that won't rub off. I can get the image on there fine without rubbing off but there is a ton of that dried medium left over. With the design being so small it would be a major PITA to scrape off around the picture.

snail,

Do you let the medium dry at all before you apply the image? What kind of paper did you use? I tried letting it dry a little and not at all and had equally poor results. My wife whats to try it. I think she thinks it is operator error, may be but I like the doubt no need to confirm it.

Back