DIY Cooler conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon round cooler to convert into an MLT (Santa brought me a burner and tank :rockin: ).

The question I have is, this: If I build a copper manifold, what is the best way to connect it to the brass nipple that comes through the bulkhead? I've seen some hose used, but is there another way? If I make this manifold, I'll be soldering anyways so...

Otherwise my LHBS has an offbrand bazooka screen for like $14 that I can use for now. Decisions decisions :)

hmm here is my design and it works real well, i soldered some of the pieces so that it does not fall apart. but you can take it apart so that it can be cleaned

this is a pic of it assembled in my 10gal MLT
imgp38714.jpg

here is a pic of it disassembled fully
imgp3908333333333333333.jpg

Nice! So the copper tube from the manifold just fits inside the bulkhead peice?

I built mine with a rectangle cooler, but the idea is the same. I soldered most of my pieces together, and the manifold has a female thread piece that lines up with the original spigot hole. On the outside I have male threaded piece soldered to the valve, and a washer and gasket around that thread. Screws right in, nice and tight. Barb soldered to valve on the outside. Works great for me.

I got a copper piece with threads, and the manifold just slides into that piece. It's braced against the other side of the cooler, so it won't slide out while stirring.
20101102225209469.jpg

Well, I found these cool new connectors out there and one that connects to the pipe nipple. They are called Gatorbite and this is something similar, just picture a female thread on the other end.

I also went with the Igloo Ice Cube Roller here. 15 gallons total at 1/2 the price, gave me some more room for the manifold. I had to stop and wonder about making a big beer, so i went for volume, but I didn't want to go full sized cooler.

I'll try and get some pics up. Thanks for all the input!

yah, mine just fits in there... i didnt have any leaks or anything, plus i think due to teh space of the tube, i only left about 1/2 gallon of wort/ if that in the bottom of the MLT~ really didnt measure it

When you cut the slits into your manifold, what did you do to make sure you removed all the burrs on the inside of the tubes? I just build a manifold myself and I was able to get a file inside the tubes to remove the burrs, but I'm a bit worried that I missed small bits of copper.

Back