Commercial Bottle Cooler Conversion w/ Century system manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Vern

Sacred Crow Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After a bit of searching I did not find many posts with a "bottle cooler" kegerator build so... here goes. I will update once 100%

Although she is mostly done, any tips or pointers are appreciated!

Summary:
I picked up this bottle cooler from auction for $170 at the end of 2019 and thought it would make a nice kegerator. I am using all pinlock as the kegs are short enough to fit without hassle.

I found the Perlick Century tower on auction, lesson learned. I was drinking at the end of auction and got into a bidding war.... the bidding company won after I shelled out over $300 for the tower and manifold, then replaced the (PLATED) faucets and (PLATED) custom shanks ($180). Cheapo faucet I can understand, as the contractor probably charged for SS and installed $12 faucets. I failed to get good photos of the tower internals, which were completely covered in insulation. The bits of insulation I removed yielded an aluminum glycol manifold with taps for 1" shanks, transitioning into ~2' SS end pieces that travel the column along with the glycol tubing.

I found it a little disconcerting that Perlick would use yellow metal in their shanks, maybe the thought is 1" of contact in copper/brass is not enough poison to be a problem with acidic beer? See photo of said shanks and tell me plating is OK. Regardless, I had to change them for piece of mind. Corporate profits and FDA loopholes be dammed.

Did I stick with Perlick faucets? you betcha. American made with German parts in lieu of Chinese made with German machines and questionable steel. Since I live in the USA I support my community and neighbors as much as I can.

There are some odds and ends left to do (drip tray, glycol loop, fan switch, additional gas hardware, tidying things up).

This will be my first summer running this in my garage, I may build a nice insulated cover for it just to keep kW usage at minimum.

Overkill? yeah maybe
Sexy? I think so!
Taking Charlie Papazian's advice on serving home brew while raising my game (and glass)... no solo cups allowed :bigmug:

https://app.photobucket.com/u/vern0...7c678ca-5565-484b-9fa2-9f87032f8c77?mode=zoom

Last edited:
Back