DIY Bulldog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the impending initiation of a 25 gallon solera program in a recently acquired bourbon barrel from a local distillery, I was quickly faced with the issue of how, a year from now, I will dispense the portion to be removed. Enter the Bulldog! I didn't feel like paying $300-$500 for a professional grade pimped out one, so I set out to build my own. Hope this helps anyone else looking to do the same.

It honestly was much easier and cheaper than I expected. The highest ticket item was the ball lock disconnect, which is completely optional. My main hangup is that my gas source is pretty stationary, so being able to cart the barrel over to the gas and hookup via quick disconnect is well worth the cost. Otherwise, it's just a stainless racking cane, a couple adapters and fittings, and an appropriately sized solid bung drilled out to match the cane and barb.

Corney Gas Post (ball lock)
30" Stainless Racking Cane
1/4" x 19/32" Corney Post Adapter (ball lock)
1/4" FIP Brass Coupling
Your choice of 1/4" x hose barb fitting

Happy transferring!

Bulldog 1.jpg Bulldog 2.jpg Bulldog 3.jpg

That is cool! My barrel solara is still a year or so off till my brewery is finished. I am assuming you’ve done a “wet” run?

Very cool - stainless is best, but would there be any issues if I repurposed a copper racking cane that I don't use?

Edit: turns out it's too short anyhow - I'll just get a new stainless one.

Last edited:
Right. Main issue I'd have with copper is longevity due to it being a softer/malleable metal compared to SS. I know i would have surely bent mine up after just looking at it wrong. Not to mention, I can break down this rig to put the gas-in and cane into a different sized bung for a different barrel, if need be.

I bent the hell out of it trying to put mine together ( a bit different design). Stainless it is!

Back