Divine intervention, or drunken ineptitude?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine intervention or Drunken ineptitude?

• Did I dream it? (Divine intervention)

• Was I loadered? (Drunken ineptitude)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ajbram

Reaction score
Bear with me for this story. I find this really interesting.

Have you ever had one of those times when you aren't sure if you dreamed something, or if it actually happened, but your recollection was a little hazy due to ethanol consumption? This is one of those times, and what makes me uncertain is that I don't dream all that often. I have had less than 10 dreams in my life that I remember. I have had many nights of hazy recollections though, but for the purposes of this story, we'll call it a dream.

In this dream, I go with some friends to an unassuming pub on a sloping side street. The pub has an elaborate wheelchair ramp and a publican who explains that the wheelchair ramp is for patrons "who are handicapped by the time they leave." We sit down at a table that looks out of a large bay window overlooking the wheelchair ramp, and I order a pint of a beer whose name I cannot now recall. When said beer arrives, it is deep jade green and I am skeptical. However, the beer has a beautiful aroma like a meadow of fresh hay and wildflowers in spring. The mouth feel is thick and creamy, and the beer has an incredibly good taste... somewhat grassy, but fresh and delicious. I have several.That's where the recollection ends.

I had all but forgotten about this until I stumbled across a "How do I make a St. Patrick's Day Green Beer?" thread yesterday. It got me thinking about whether or not I had ever consumed a naturally green beer, and what it could have been. I looked around and discovered that there are a few commercially available and microbrewed green beers, mostly made with spirulina. I'm pretty sure that these were not what I had.

So, now that I brew, I decided I should try to replicate it. I don't know if anyone else has ever tried to replicate a beer from a dream that may not actually exist, but below is the recipe idea. I would love your feedback. I have also posted a poll so you can help me decide whether I dreamed it or drunkenly forgot it.

for a 2.5 Gal test batch.

ISLAND 17 BREWING "Verdant" Wheatgrass Wheat.
Original Gravity: 1.05 Final Gravity: 1.012 ABV (standard): 4.92% IBU (tinseth): 11.79 SRM (morey): 3.52

Fermentables

4 lb Belgian Wheat Malt
1 lb Belgian Unmalted Wheat
1 lb Flaked Wheat

Boil

0.5 oz Willamette 60 min
6 oz wheatgrass (muddled) 45 min
1 oz Willamette 0 min

Mash Steps

1.25 qt Infusion 152 F 60 min
-- Batch Sparge -- 167 F 10 min

Other Ingredients

8 oz wheatgrass extract Secondary

Yeast
White Labs - Belgian Wit II Ale Yeast WLP410

The thought is this would have a nice grassy/floral nose from the willamette with grassy notes to match from the wheatgrass...and colour to match!

Might try to do this for St. Paddy's Day. What do you all think?

Definitely a dream. Makes a better story & more original beer. Sounds interesting; perfect for St. Patty's day.

One time I had a dream in which I was able to... Well, let's just say my back was very flexible. It was so realistic I almost started crying when I woke up!

I'm not sure I've ever dreamed about brewing.

I'm curious to see how your recipe turns out. Good luck on the green beer!

I think replicating a beer you tasted and couldn't remember the rest of the night is almost as heroic as replicating a beer from a dream

I had a dream a couple nights a cheetah was attacking me on top of my kids swingset. It hasn't inspired any beer recipes, but I believe the dream was inspired by three pints of homebrew IPA with warrior hops.

Back