Distribution of BJCP Scores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find any good information on this on either this site or the BJCP. I entered my first competition with 3 beers. One got a really low score but the other two were 35 and 36. I personally don't know exactly what that means in the overall scope of things. Do you know if there is a historical distribution list that looks like my example below:

Percent of entries and score:
10-18 - 20% of entries
19-30 - 60% of entries
31-40 - 10% of entries
41-46 - 7% of entries
47-50 - 3% of entries

I know the scores are really supposed to help you improve the quality of your beers but if a score of 36 is in the top 10% of beers than I think I may leave it alone knowing that I kind of made the recipe to my tastes. Just trying to get an idea how really good it is. Also, I saw an earlier thread and I agree that it doesn't make sense to not show how you did compared to your competition. I mean competition is in the name and therefore should be treated as one.

Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style
Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning
Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws
Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies
Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate

I think the job of the judge is to score the beer on how it relates to the style not necessarily whether it is better or worse than the next guy's entry.

But I have been wrong before.

I can understand why this might be interesting data, but your beer is either bad or good, flawed or not. It doesn't matter how others score.

I searched but couldn't find any good information on this on either this site or the BJCP. I entered my first competition with 3 beers. One got a really low score but the other two were 35 and 36. I personally don't know exactly what that means in the overall scope of things. Do you know if there is a historical distribution list that looks like my example below:

Percent of entries and score:
10-18 - 20% of entries
19-30 - 60% of entries
31-40 - 10% of entries
41-46 - 7% of entries
47-50 - 3% of entries

I know the scores are really supposed to help you improve the quality of your beers but if a score of 36 is in the top 10% of beers than I think I may leave it alone knowing that I kind of made the recipe to my tastes. Just trying to get an idea how really good it is. Also, I saw an earlier thread and I agree that it doesn't make sense to not show how you did compared to your competition. I mean competition is in the name and therefore should be treated as one.

Mean is about 31-32, I would say 10% are above 39. 35-36 is a solid score and that will place not infrequently. Probably around the 75th percentile.

Back