Dissolving the Sugar in Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twofocused

Reaction score
When making apfelwein or other ciders does it matter if you dissolve the sugar and then put it in the fermenter? Or do you have to shake it to dissolve?

Thanks, Jason

Actually I have done both and each has advantages. Disolving/boiling the sugar inverts it, changing the flavor profile slightly. Shaking it in the half emptied containers introduces lots if O2 which your yeast will use to not struggle during fermentation, making a better tasting product.

Hope that helps!

Shaking it in the half emptied containers introduces lots if O2

+1 on adding O2

Inverting the sugar is a bit longer of a process than just boiling it until dissolved. I don't think you will change the flavor profile unless you actually raise the temp high enough for long enough to get some color to it.

The other two advantages of shaking instead of heating are that you:
1) Don't have to cool it much to pitch yeast
2) Aren't harming the flavor of the cider by boiling it

Dont you guys have drill mounted stirrers? Drop those babies in the middle of the carboy, add your sugar or honey and blitz on high for a minute, areated and dissolved. I do admit though, that shaking is also fun especially later when its full of CO2. WVMJ

Actually I have done both and each has advantages. Disolving/boiling the sugar inverts it, changing the flavor profile slightly. Shaking it in the half emptied containers introduces lots if O2 which your yeast will use to not struggle during fermentation, making a better tasting product.

Hope that helps!

That makes alot of sense. Thanks

Back