Dissimilar Metals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenzi09

Reaction score
I see a lot of people use copper manifolds in their stainless kettles, myself include. I've been thinking about it for awhile but has anyone ever had a problem with accelerated corrosion related to use of dissimilar metals?

I'm also concerned about the chemical reaction between the metals while in contact with wort or strike/sparge water.

Given the process of the metals breaking down is still relatively slow, but was curious if anyone else ever looked into this or experienced corrosion over years of use.

I'm not an expert but I know it has to do with the metals' anodic index. The bigger the difference in index values, the greater the risk of galvanic corrosion. My understanding is the difference between copper and stainless steel index values is small enough that it's not a concern.

Not to mention that the contact time is so limited I don't see how there'd be much to worry about.

Back