Dissappointed in LHBS Oktoberfest kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoolyBooger

Reaction score
On a whim, the wife and I decided to run to our "LHBS" (which is a solid 1 1/2 hour drive) to pixk up a few pieces of equipment. While I was on the store I decided to pick up one of their Oktoberfest all grain kits. When I got home and opened it up, I was disappointed to find the meager 8lb grain bill. It will make an okay session beer I guess, but that's not necessarily what I had in mind. The kit was inexpensive, so the price is not my issue. I just want my Oktoberfest to have a little meat on its bones... So to speak.

I guess the lesson is even if you you decide to head to the LHBS last minute, take a few extra mins and put together a recipe. Don't assume that their kit will be what you're looking for.

The recipe page was in a sealed bag with all of the hops, yeast, etc. I could have easily asked them what was included, and I'm sure they would have told me. I just assumed we would be in the same page.

I'm not blaming the LHBS. It is a great store and the employees are very friendly and helpful. The kit was an impulse buy and next time I will just go in with my own recipe. I guess my point is don't assume that a recipe kit of a given style will match your idea of the style.

Just put it aside and order some more grain on the web? Places like Austinhomebrew only charge $5 or $7 bucks in shipping, depending on how much you buy.

I don't remember when exactly my 5 gallon grain bills started approaching 14-15 lbs!

Ask yourself if you'll be happy with the final product as it sits... or by adding some more base/special grains to get you up to a 'better' Oct fest is REALLY what you want? I've held off before when I realized I "needed" something else for the brew and I just either ordered it or stopped by my local hbs, 2.5 miles away! :)

Had to go look up session beer on google... now I get it :eek:

Those 14 lb grain bills I mentioned above are IPA/Holiday Ales which I guess are a bit higher in abv?

To the OP..... brew it!

I always keep some light DME on hand to make starters with. So I just added 2 lbs of DME to beef it up a bit.

I should have posted this before, I was doing a BIAB so my efficiency is not that great. Also I typically make 5.5 gallon batches so that my bottling volume is a full 5 gallons or 2 cases. So an 8 lb grain bill would have made a pretty light O'fest, even for a session beer.

"I just want my Oktoberfest to have a little meat on its bones..."

You should look in to bacon porters.

Update: I added the DME and brewed it up. I snuck a taste while bottling today and I'm pretty happy with it. Sam Adams Octoberfest is one of my favorite beers of all time and I have to say that this one is nearly as good. I can't wait to brew another one so that I can tweak it a little more. This was my first attempt at a lager and I can definitely improve my process. Overall, a great result for an impulse brew!

Final update: Its carbed up and delicious! It did take a little while to carb, but it is pretty much crystal clear so there probably wasn't much yeast there to work on the priming sugar. I am really happy with it considering the way it started... Maybe I should call this one Frankenfest!

Back