Dishwasher for bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeek1202

Reaction score
I was told by the guy who runs the local HBS that if my dishwasher has a sanitize feature I could use it before bottling. Any thoughts?

McGeek

Yup, if the water gets above 171F. I think the max temp is based on your hot water heater, check it before you count on it. Oven works too.

I've used the dishwasher everytime, including tonight, and I've never had a problem. I just soak the bottles in water for a bit to clean them out, then run them in the dishwasher (no soap) with heated drying.

Beerrific said:
Yup, if the water gets above 171F. I think the max temp is based on your hot water heater, check it before you count on it. Oven works too.

Most dishwashers have a heating element that will actually heat your hot water if your water heater can't get it hot enough.

But if you are using your dishwasher, just be aware that rinse agents like Jet Dry will inhibit the head on your beer. It won't kill it, but it will diminish it.

yeah, water heater SOMETIMES does not make any difference at all, the washer itself will do the job. as long as your bottles are clean and not crusted, i would use no soap or sanitizer of any kind besides the heat.

Are there other uses for a dishwasher? Do people actually wash dishes in them? :confused:

Mine has been reduced to my bottle rack / bottle fill station. :D After drinking a bottle, I give it a thorough rinse and in goes on the rack to dry. When my bottom rack is as full as it can possibly get, regardless of bottle size, I know I have enough to bottle my next batch. All filling, like last night, is done on the dishwasher door to contain any spills.

Used my dishwasher a cpl weeks ago too, looks like it worked just fine... and it is ALOT easier!!!!!!

Compare my first bottling experience with my most recent and see how i've cut down a 7-8 hour process to nothing.

1st)
Soak bottles in oxy-clean and remove commercial beer labels (before bottle day)
Soak bottles in bleach solution for a week
Take bottle/carboy washer and anal-retentively wash every bottle for 15-20 seconds to remove bleach
Put bottles in dish-washer
Siphon beer to bottling bucket, add priming sugar and bottle

Now)
Dip bottles in C-brite and rinse briefly
Run through dishwasher without soap
Siphon beer to bottling bucket, add priming sugar and bottle

All in all, now it takes about the time required to go through a dish cycle. For people who are new to brewing, it seems like your so worried about infection you go to the nth degree. After a while, you realize with decent sanitizing, you really don't have much to worry about.

Back