Dish washer sanitising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak40kush

Reaction score
I dont know how true this is im just curious. Ive heard that putting your bottles in the dishwasher is a good and easy way to sanitise. does anyone have experience on this subject?

I dont think it will sanitise effectively but it would aid in getting yeast stuck in the bottom of the bottle out.

Any help appreciated

cheers

I tried it once and, at least with my dishwasher, the water doesn't get into the bottles good enough for cleaning or sanitizing. If you have a badass dishwasher then maybe...

I've been a bleach user for a year now with no problems but I am about to switch to starsan or onestep sanitizer because bleach can cause off flavors.

The dishwasher works to sanitize the bottles but not to clean them.

If you have yeast stuck in a bottle your best bet is probably a soak with Oxyclean.

The best thing to due is thoroughly rinse your bottles when you empty them. Let them air dry then put the well-rinsed bottles in storage. When you are ready to bottle another batch put them in your dishwasher. Use the sanitize setting and heated dry. No soap.

Some people swear by it...a few on here have tried it and slowly started to get infections, becasue it does indeed not necessarily get at all the biomatter in the bottles.

To me it is (and although I am NOT an enviromental activist type person) a waste of energy and water. Becasue realisitcally you should run the machine once BEFORE you put your bottles in to flush out any excess buildup of dishwasher detergent which will play havoc with head retention.

So that's twice the electricity and water...and if you use a jet bottle washer on your sink and a vinator to sanitize, you use a heck of a lot less water, and even less time.

I sanitize as part of my bottle process and can get the whole thing done, sanitizing boiling my priming solution, bottling and capping in between 45 minutes and 1 hours, using tips I talk about in here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

I dont think it will sanitise effectively but it would aid in getting yeast stuck in the bottom of the bottle out.
It's just the opposite. Like the others have said, not enough high pressure water will make its way into the bottle to clean the gunk, but the heat of the antibacterial cycle will sanitize an already clean bottle.

Becasue realisitcally you should run the machine once BEFORE you put your bottles in to flush out any excess buildup of dishwasher detergent which will play havoc with head retention.
Head retention in the bottle? :confused:

ok so here is what ill try doing ill sanitise my bottles the usual way i do and ill mark some with the dishwasher test. I have 2 64oz groulers that im going to re-use so its not like im sacrificing much of my beer for the sake of knowing.

If you have clean bottles....the dishwasher works fine.

We put 50 bottles in..
Put your bottling bucket beside the dishwasher
Open the dishwasher after the cycle and set the bottle in the dishwasher ---- fill the bottle and put on counter
If you spill some beer its not on the kitchen floor

IF your bottles are clean. It works great
Never had a problem. Better than drinking Bleach

To me it is (and although I am NOT an enviromental activist type person) a waste of energy and water. Becasue realisitcally you should run the machine once BEFORE you put your bottles in to flush out any excess buildup of dishwasher detergent which will play havoc with head retention.

I never had any problems with head retention, and I never ran it empty before running with bottles.

Couple that with the fact that I could probably do 60-100 bottles in a single load, and I think its actually pretty water/energy efficient.

Never had any problems with infections.

I run my clean( or at least rinsed) bottles through a full wash and rinse while I am getting my bottling stuff together. After I take them out of the dishwasher, I use the starsan in the vinator and set them on the bottle tree. Overkill? Maybe but I feel OK with it.

That's how I sanitized them when I used to bottle. Perhaps, though, it worked for me because I have a newer dishwasher.

IF the bottles are clean, the dishwasher works fine. I have a newer dishwasher with a sanitize option that works great. On the "light" setting, it doesn't use a ton of water. The heat is the important thing, not the wash. A dishwasher is not a good way to clean the bottles, they already need to be clean to use the dishwasher. I have never had a problem with this method.

dishwasher is what i do. If it's a bottle i'm drinking, i'll just rinse it really well, then set it in the closet, if i get the bottle elsewhere (recycling bin at local pub), i'll soak it in oxy clean overnight, then rinse it, then dishwash it.

No problems in 10 batches so far.

Obviously, the dishwasher will not clean out anything inside a bottle. However, temperatures in the rinse cycle of a dishwasher will run 195F, which will sanitize. As 'arturo7' stated, the best way to get a clean bottle is to rinse it thoroughly when the beer is poured. Obviously, if you get these bottles from somewhere else, you have to assume that the dregs have dried inside. Get that out by soaking in PBW or Oxi-Clean (I cannot use the latter, as my well water is too hard). Presumably you'll want the label off, to this will kill two birds. So when I'm ready to bottle, they're already clean. I do a twofold process. First I use a vinator to squirt Star San up inside each bottle; as I spray each one, it goes in the dishwasher. This process takes about 15 minutes. I plan it so I bottle the next day. When I get up, I immediately run the dishwasher, and then bottle when I get to it. This has worked for me for many batches with nary a problem.

I put my bottles in the dish washer already tonight and ive gotta say it did a good job. the inside of the bottles had a good ammount of water so i now know i can trust the dishwasher to do the job. i bleached the caps in warm water strained them out and washed them off in hot water. once the wash was done i took the bottles out and caped them so the inside will be clean and sanitised for when i bottle which i plan to do soon so i got beer to go back to college with.

dishwasher is clutch when bottling. I'm not sure if you do this but i run the bottles on the steam dry cycle, and boil the caps before getting ready to bottle. then just pull from the dishwasher as i bottle. they come out perfectly clean and sanitized.

Mine usually have a little water from residual condensation due to the heated dry cycle on the DW. I just bottle right into the few drops of water and don't worry about it. It was sprayed out at over 130 degrees (in my dish washer atleast). Some may say it's a bad idea, but through 12 batches i haven't had a problem ( knock on wood)

Mine usually have a little water from residual condensation due to the heated dry cycle on the DW. I just bottle right into the few drops of water and don't worry about it. It was sprayed out at over 130 degrees (in my dish washer atleast). Some may say it's a bad idea, but through 12 batches i haven't had a problem ( knock on wood)

Man I hope your water is considerably over 130 degrees if you hope to even sanitize, let alone sterilize. Obviously it works whatever it is...

I went ahead and bottled anyway. Phoned my lhbs and they said the residual water should be no problem. The guy said the chlorine is what you need to worry about and that the temperature at which the d/w sanitizes at (above 150) is enough to get rid of the chlroine. We'll see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back