Dirty Looking Yeast After Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinness_time

Reaction score
Ok so I've started washing yeast to save some money, (It's something like $7.00 a vial in Washington). I did my first batch using what I found on here using one large jar and 4 small to decant out of my carboy. It turned out fine, looks good and healthy and I'm planning on pitching into a beer this weekend (fingers crossed). Well I decided to wash some more out of another, did everything the same, but when it all finally settled it looks kind of dirty. I think i decanted it good enough but for some reason it doesn't look right, I'll keep it around but will probably end up throwing it out if I don't get any replies back. It was pulled from a Stout, not that that matters. I'm attaching an image of what it looks like. I guessing it's probably not good to pitch. Thanks.:drunk:

DSC01078.jpg

Just looks like some trub mixed in with the yeast. Won't hurt a thing. Looks like you have a nice layer of healthy yeast in there too.

Thanks gents, I wasn't sure after this one. The stout I was doing fermented out quicker than expected, a few other things didn't go as planned, then to see the trub mixed in there I wasn't sure if it was any good. I'll pitch to a starter soon and see how it goes. Thanks again.

You could always rewash it. Boil some water, cool it, shake up the jar of yeast, let the trub fall for about 10 min, pitch the suspended yeast into a new jar and top off with water.

I find 2000ml flasks excellent tools for a second yeast washing. The angled sides make it really easy to prevent any trub from making into the new jars.

You could always rewash it. Boil some water, cool it, shake up the jar of yeast, let the trub fall for about 10 min, pitch the suspended yeast into a new jar and top off with water.

I wouldn't waste the time. There is nothing in that harvest that is going to hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back