DIPA way to sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
so I brewed a beer, Ill put the recipe below, and it fermented for a little over 3 weeks, it went from OG 1.090 to 1.023 so about 8.8% abv. I pitched 2 dry packs of safale 05. with my OG and FG my attenuation would be about 73% which is not bad for safale 05. the beer has only been bottle conditioning for about a week but I wanted to try it and its SOOOO sweet....
now my IBU on my recipe was only 45, but I think I made a last min change and added a extra .5 oz of cascade and brought it up to 55 ibu then I added a extra .5-1 ounce of cascade as a dry hop. But does anyone have any idea why the beer is so sweet?!!

ingredients

9.9 lbs LME wheat

1 lbs flaked oats

1 lbs flaked wheat

1 lbs American crystal 20L

4 oz German melandoin 25L

3 lbs briess brewers malt 2 row 1.8L

Mash

Mash 150F 2 gallons for 60 mins

Sparge 170F 1 gallon

Yeast
safale us-05 2 packs

im guessing about 80% Attenuation??

Hops

3oz cascade 7.1 AA 60 min boil (pellet)

3oz Citra 13.2 AA 5 min boil (pellet)

2oz Citra 13.2 AA Dry hop after 7 days (pellet)

Final Numbers
Original Gravity

Final Gravity

ABV
8.98%

IBU

also I just used corn sugar to bottle prime, and used a calculator to find the right amount to use for a DIPA

So after looking a my recipe again it has to be IBU I think i actually was around only 40. Also the FG probably Coulda dropped a few more points as well but it looked as if fermentation had ended and gravity wasent dropping further.

So my only idea was to take 3 or 4 oz of hops boil them for 60 mins in a few cups of water then opening each bottle and adding some of the hop water to each bottle... Anyone have any other ideas lol....

A DIPA that big should have way more IBU. Your hop tea idea is manageable, if a bit late in the process. Your hop tea will max out at 100-120 IBU, so you'll have to figure out how many IBU you're adding by calculating the dilution. It should work out that replacing 10% of the beer with saturated hop tea adds about 10-12 IBU.

A DIPA that big should have way more IBU. Your hop tea idea is manageable, if a bit late in the process. Your hop tea will max out at 100-120 IBU, so you'll have to figure out how many IBU you're adding by calculating the dilution. It should work out that replacing 10% of the beer with saturated hop tea adds about 10-12 IBU.

Wait so I'm a bit confused. What would you recommend? Cause I'm about 20-30 IBUs off if I'm only at 40. The beer is already bottled, which seems like the delemia. Any details you can offer on how you'd go about fixing it would be appreciated

Wait so I'm a bit confused. What would you recommend? Cause I'm about 20-30 IBUs off if I'm only at 40. The beer is already bottled, which seems like the delemia. Any details you can offer on how you'd go about fixing it would be appreciated
I can't say for sure what I'd do in your case. It's already bottled and carbed so it's late in the game for most interventions. The best bet would probably be to make another DIPA with much higher IBU and then gently (to avoid as much oxidation as you can) blend them in the bottling bucket.

Basically, the dilution rate you'd need to reach a reasonable IBU level with a saturated hop tea would significantly dilute the beer. The only way to counteract that would be for the hop tea to be a beer. You could also dry it out a bit by using some table sugar or dextrose for some of the fermentables in the blending beer, which would help to reduce the sweetness of the final product.

Of course, you could also drink it as is, cook with it, hand it out to friends, or dump it. Blending is probably your only reasonable way to turn it into what you want it to be, but it will be a hassle and you'll probably deal with a bit of extra oxidation and maybe end up with even more mediocre DIPA than you've got now.

The beer is sweet because it still has priming sugar in it. It's probably a bit imbalanced as well (needs more bitterness, as already said) but will taste a lot better with another two weeks to finish off the priming sugar. Be patient.

I occasionally use LME and the fermentation always stops about 1.020 and makes a sweet beer.
As someone already said, when its carbed up, some of the sweetness will go away.
If its still to sweet, your only option is to "blend in the glass" with a dryer beer when you consume it.
Get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo and blend 1/2 bottle of that to one bottle of yours.
Brew a simple all grain 2.5 gallon batch using a clean Saison yeast, it will finish below 1.010 and would blend well with your DIPA.

Just to let you know, hop tea in plain water does not max out at 100 ibu, as wort does. It can hold much much more ibus than wort. Multiple hundreds, have not found a a limit yet and used this method quite excessively for some time.

Well, first, you're final gravity (1.023) is really high. Most recipes for DIPAs that have that high an OG use sugar for some of the fermentables so that they'll ferment down lower. A final gravity of 1.023 on an IPA would get cloying IMO.

Second, as noted above, IBUs are much too low. There's a lot out there about OG to IBU ratio for various styles. I read a white paper that takes it a step farther. It uses OG/FG and IBU and calculates a value based on those. Then based on research of examples of various styles, includes value ranges for a bunch of different styles. I've used that for years to help create recipes.

For your OG/FG in the recipe, IBUs should be around 60 +/- 5-10. I'd shoot for 65-70 with that recipe.With a final gravity of 1.023, IBUs should be 75 +/- 5-10. I wouldn't want that high a FG, but if I was going to do that, I'd go for 80 IBUs.

Read this. You'll be much happier with your recipes if you use it as a guideline.

Beer is way out of balance. A FG that high you need 2-3x as many hops to balance it out. Keep in mind you can only get something like 88 IBUs into a beer. A 180 theoretical IBU beer will still only end up at 80 something in the final beer. Also the higher the OG the worse your hop utilization is and as homebrewers we get even worse hop utilization with our small kettles.

You’re gonna need a FG ideally lower than 1.016 and in my mind even lower than that. For reference Pliny at 8% finishes at 1.007/1.008 I think. Or did at one point. Looks like you’re shooting for a more “hazy” style. Double Citra from Hill Farmstead finishes at 1.012 and is incredibly drinkable for 8%.

In order to get there with LMe/DME you’re gonna need a sizable addition of dextrose for fermentables.

If you haven't yet, you should look into using software to help build your recipes. A FG of 1.023 isn't horrible, it's not that much higher than something like lagunitas ipa, but at only "40" IBUs you're really underhopped. Mind you, that's a theoretical 40 IBUs. In reality your actual IBUs are likely a good bit lower than that. Tinkering with it too much at this point won't help. Just let it carb up and start designing a new recipe. For a DIPA there's no shortage of solid recipes out there you can use as a starting point.

hop tea in plain water does not max out at 100 ibu, as wort does. It can hold much much more ibus than wort. Multiple hundreds, have not found a a limit yet and used this method quite excessively for some time.

<font type='curious'>
Can you provide more details / information? Offer a couple of one gallon exBEERiment-ish batches to brew?
</font>

Latest posts

Back