dilemma questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmpeethree

Reaction score
1. i've got a batch of munich dark that was in the primary for a week and now has been in the secondary for a week. i'm moving in exactly a week and need to move my equipment. i promised beer to everyone that helps me move and all i've got is the beer in my secondary right now (im not paying retail!!!)

so basically it looks like this

1 week primary -> 1 week secondary -> 1 week ?

should i bottle and condition now? or stick it out another week an take back my promise (which i really don't want to do)

will my beer improve significantly from another week in the secondary?

my last beer had enough carbonation after a week of conditioning. was i just lucky?

2. i filled a bunch of 2L pop bottles with beer and by the time they got to the poker party, the yeast had clouded up the whole batch. is there a way to avoid this? ie. can you filter out the sediment w/ coffee filter etc to avoid the yeast buildup at the bottom or will this kill the conditioning?

3. to sanitize the 2L bottles, i put them in the dishwasher with every option on (turbo scrub, high temp wash, sanitize, extra rinse) the bottles came out very clean, didnt see any residue (they were int he dishwasher for 2 1/2 hrs!) anwyays, the sanitize works by heating the water until it steams and evaporates or some deal like that and its supposd to kill 99.99% of germs.

however, i noticed that after i took the bottles out they seem to have changed shape slightly and shrunk (my guess is as a result of the heat) i was still able to put the caps on them fine and they hold a good seal. i'm just wondering about health concerns --- has this "change" to the plastic caused anything to leak? i rpobably won't use the sanitize feature next time, or will remove before the steam dry becuase the bottles are probably now 1.8L instead

thanks in advance

I'd say bottle it. More conditioning time always makes a beer better, but if you wait until the move is done (move the beer first, so it can settle), people will probably snarf it up.

Yes, PET bottles shrink when exposed to heat and might be weaker than before. Chemically there is no change.

#2 Yes this will hurt the conditioning along with increase chance of contamination. You need the yeast to carbonate. Bottle and keep at room temp and then refridgerate 2 days before the end of the move. Hopefully you will get the carbonation and the the cold will help settle out some.

Since you are planning to share the brew with others this won't be your best batch due to the shortened schedule. And it may not carbonate completely. If you have understanding "movers" then inform them of the time constraints and promise a drinking get together at the ideal time and thus not rush your batch.

Back