Digital Probe Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonpile

Reaction score
During our recent first attempt at a partial mash we had my Pyrex digital probe thermometer in the mash tun, keeping score. I think it eventually got wet above the solid part and started reading way high. This is the kind that has metal braid. Will it work again after it dries out?

I looked at a local store and they had a $15 one with gray silicone over the cord. It didn't look like it necessarily would keep liquid out of the probe since the silicon didn't actually extend over the solid part of the probe. Anyone know about this? Sorry I don't have a picture.

Any suggestions for a replacement (if needed)?

Northern Brewer has waterproof digital ones for around $ 20.00
Highly accurate and able to calibrate.
I always use 2, and they are always within 1/2 degree F

I believe someone (Yuri?) suggested sticking the braid in the oven with the probe (as they are intended to be used) and run the oven for a while. If that works and it gets back to normal or if it does not and you buy a new one then do this

BrewerBrewer3401 said:
Northern Brewer has waterproof digital ones for around $ 20.00
Highly accurate and able to calibrate.
I always use 2, and they are always within 1/2 degree F

I was actually referring to the kind with a remote probe on a wire. I only see the ones where the display is attached to the probe at Northern Brewer. If I'm missing the remote kind on their site, please let me know.

Now that I've searched some more though, I see that some people have, I assume, just drilled a hole in their cooler and stuck that kind of therm in there. Anyone who's done that, how did you seal it back up inside the cooler?

knights of Gambrinus said:
I believe someone (Yuri?) suggested sticking the braid in the oven with the probe (as they are intended to be used) and run the oven for a while. If that works and it gets back to normal or if it does not and you buy a new one then do this

Unless something else comes to light, I guess that's what I'll do.

I can't find that thread, but basically you put the probe part in a 300 or 350 degree oven for an hour and it will start working again. I had the same thing happen, and this did work. Leave the part that plugs in sticking out of the oven.

There was a thread a while back about how to waterproof that braid w/ silicon tubing and some SS safety wire. I can't seem to find it.

I use $15 digital probe thermos from Walmart. The cord is sealed in silicon tubing and you can submerse them without ill effects. If they ever DID get water in there (through a crack or something), I don't know if the oven trick would work.

Lil' Sparky said:
There was a thread a while back about how to waterproof that braid w/ silicon tubing and some SS safety wire. I can't seem to find it.

I use $15 digital probe thermos from Walmart. The cord is sealed in silicon tubing and you can submerse them without ill effects. If they ever DID get water in there (through a crack or something), I don't know if the oven trick would work.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. So the ones with silicone already on the wire/cord are submersible, so that even if you get the wire/cord down into the mash, it still works. Is that right?

I have the exact same thermometer and have have fixed your exact problem by putting the probe in the oven to dry it out.

works just fine now..

ws

Ditto on the oven to dry it out. (of course do not put the digital part in the oven :cross: )

I have not done this yet, but you can go to an auto or electronics store and buy some heat shrink tubing. It is a minimal cost to get what you have working.

Back