Different Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
I decided to do a little experiment with yeast. I have heard a lot about the differences from liquid vs. dry yeast etc etc. So I have decided to test it. I bought steeping grain and extract Pale Ale kits, the first one I fermented with liquid yeast (wyeast 1056). The second batch I spilt into two half batches, one with Nottingham's dry yeast and the other half with Saflager dry lager yeast. They all seem to be fermenting happily.
Any predictions on this little experiment? Apart from me having Just enough pale ale.:rolleyes:

If you're fermenting the Saflager batch at room temps then that will be the 'odd ball' beer. The other two should be pretty similar.

i predict you will have alot of similar beer to drink...Now the hard part...try reproducing the results, if you can do that then i cant see any thing different between liquid and dry (this is the only argument ive read, that with dry yeast you will get inconsistant results when all other variables are the same)

p.s. 1 more post and youve got 200!

I did two identical mini-mash porters, one with WL Cal V and one with Nottingham. No one who has tasted them can detect a difference, but they are porters.

Considering you are doing a Pale and a lager yeast vs. an ale yeast, I'd say you'll have a hoppy pilsner and a pale Ale.

the 1056 and the nottingham will produce pretty similar results.

in march i'm going to a thing put on by the NM Brewers Guild and White Labs called 'Indentic-ale'. its a large scale version of your experiment, where they brewed the same recipe a bunch of times with different yeasts. it'll be interesting to see the difference from a large variety of yeasts. its not for a while but i'll post on how it is.

Back