Different hops at different boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I've see a few recipes that list one hop at say, 10 minutes left in the boil and another hop at flameout or for dry hop. An example would be the Electric Pale Ale which has Amarillo and Centennial in the boil and Citra only for the dry hop.

Just wondered what the reason behind this is? Do certain hops do better for not been boiled or not used as a dryhop?

different hops have different AA (Alpha Acids) that add different IBU ( bittering levels) to the finished beer. Longer boil times with high alpha hops add more bittering IBU's. Shorter boil times are for flavor and aroma. This is a very basic explanation to the question as always further info is always available here or on the net. Google is your friend.

Sorry I didn't mean ibu's. Poorly worded question I guess. I meant I'm seeing a lot of recipes with two or three types of hop at flameout and then completely different hops for dryhopping. Just wondered why not use the all the hops at the same times?? No big deal just curious!

Ok I think I understand you can certainly use only one hop or use any hop at any time, but some hops are much cheaper to use as a bittering hop ( long boil time ). Longer boil times do not impart flavor as much as shorter boil times. A good way to learn hop bittering and flavor profiles is to brew smash ( single malt and single hop) beers. another quicker way would be to look at clone recipes of some of your favorite beers and look at the hop schedules. I'm sure you'll see a common theme develop as to bittering, flavor, and aroma additions.

Newky i think I'm understanding you after seeing your responses. Hop additions at flame out and dry hopping are different techniques of achieving more aroma. By using multiple methods you increase the flavor and aroma in the final product. The different types of hops will just impart their individual flavor and aroma.

Just to give the beer more depth.

Think spaghetti sauce. You could make a fine sauce with just a lot of oregano...divide that amount between 5 spices and it makes it that much more interesting/better

I'd say for me that would be because of layering.

In my mind boiled hops provide the backbone of the hoppiness, and dryhops provide the freshness. So a backbone of this and that, and season it with some freshness of another hop.

Latest posts

Back