different brew methods taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwookie

Reaction score
I recently started with a mr. Beer kit. I have been wanting to learn how to brew for years and wanted the kit to learn the basics. I am immediately wanting to step it up and do 5gal. Batches.

My question is from the different methods like extract/partial/ and all grain....given the same style beer is there a taste difference? And if so what is the difference. (I do understand the processes are different).

All grain sounds like what I want to do, still deciding though

B

Simple answer, yes there can be a taste different between all grain and using pure extracts but in almost all cases is very difficult to be able to tell any hint of a difference. The main thing that can be effected is the texture and color of the beer. For the most part mini-mashes solve the texture problem. I have only met one person who claims they can point out the difference between the two.

Because you are just starting out I would recommend using extract for your first brew before you make the jump to all grain.

I recently started with a mr. Beer kit. I have been wanting to learn how to brew for years and wanted the kit to learn the basics. I am immediately wanting to step it up and do 5gal. Batches.

You and me both:mug:. Started my first Mr. Beer kit on Sept. 8th, have brewed 8 and bottled 4 batches so far. Using three Mr. Beer LBK's and a 6.5 gal. bottling bucket/fermenter, which has a doubled up high country Canadian draught, with malt additions and some cascade dry hopping, at the moment for my first 5 gallon batch.:ban:

If you just want to get into 5 gallon batches that's not a problem. Just get another Mr. Beer LBK and split your, doubled additive quantity, wort between the two. Or, alternatively, get a 6.5 gal bottling bucket/fermenter. They're not too expensive. Cheapest options for brewing 5 gallon batches IMHO. Munton's, Morgan's, Black Rock, Brewferm, Cooper's......there're loads of different extract beer kits out there to try whilst honing certain aspects of the brewing/fermenting/conditioning process.

Personally, I'm liking the fact that to go from starting sanitizing to putting the fermenter into the garage is only a matter of a couple of hours. Definitely thinking about trying a partial mash or steeping some specialty grains soon but reckon I have a lot to learn before I even try to attempt an All Grain batch.:fro:

I think it has been said well already, but I will say it again.

When starting go with Extract. No need to leap into All Grain, you will use all of the same equipment when or if you move to AG.

For taste, you may get better flavor from AG, but that is just due to the greater control of grains. But, you can and will get great tasting beer from Extract. It is a lot about technique and the recipe. So go with Extract, and make the change when you have that process down pat and feel the need go to the next step (if you even feel like it).

Welcome to the hobby!

I've done a few all grain batches and there are a lot of unforseen hurdles if you don't have the right equipment. Not saying it can't be done, but could be a little messy.

Picture holding 9+ pounds of wet 155 degree grain in one hand while reaching around for a suitable container to place it for the 170 degree sparge water.... And that stuff is sticky, I had to mop 3 times in one week before my shoes stopped sticking to the floor.

I would do partial mashes, and for a beer style pale ale. Good way to learn the basics and start the mashing process.

Cool thanks for the info. Its a good idea to start with extract since its the same/similar equipment to AG, I'm usually a quick learner so hopefully ill move on up quickly!!

Latest posts

Back