Differences in extract to grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdscole

Reaction score
I did about 4 batches of extract based (mostly liquid) IPAs from the local More Beer store. They were great.

It really didn't take long to jump to the all grain setup. Using the cooler mash tun, big 15 gallon kettle, even a grain crusher.

The one difference I've noticed is a difference in the mouth feel from micro-bubbles. This was very prevalent in the extract - but not in the all grain batches.

Other modifications in the transition: I was always using RO water - and the liquid extract contains those lost minerals. Today I'm using 11 grams of gypsum and 6 grams of Epsom salts to replenish the lost minerals from the RO treatment.

Is there an ingredient which I'm missing to replace this micro-bubble mouth feel?

Do you have any lasting foam (head) when you pour your beer or is it soda-like, fleeting thin large-bubble foam?

Are those mineral additions for a 10 gallon batch? How did you determine those and the amounts?

I recommend using a (free) water calculator, like Bru'nwater (my favorite) or EZWater, to balance your mineral profile. Malt and grain themselves contribute lots of minerals to the mash, but adding some extra can be beneficial for most beers, as is adding a small amount of acid to bring the mash pH to the target value (5.2-5.5). The most commonly used "mineral" additives are Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) and Calcium Chloride. There is rarely need for Epsom (Magnesium Sulfate) and baking powder (Sodium Bicarbonate), as most malt contains plenty of Mg, and bicarbonate is typically unwanted (alkalinity) since it raises the pH.

The head on the beer is great. Full and long lasting.

The mineral determination was made using the EZ Water calculator. I have not measured pH. The RO water is truly low in ions based on conductivity testing. Base city water measures 1180 and the RO water measures 9. (I forget the units) -the RO also has a particulate and carbon canister, so the water is really pretty devoid of ions. That's why I started added them back after talking with guy at the store.

Back