Difference in Ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgressler

Reaction score
Edit I should have posted this as Different Apple Juice. Sorry up way to early this morning.

I ran by Sams Club to grab some apple juice and noticed two different types.

One is labeled Fresh Pressed.(Apple Juice and Ascorbic Acid)

The other is labeled 100% Apple Juice From Concentrate With Added Ingredient (Filtered Water Apple Juice Concentrate and Ascorbic Acid)

The fresh pressed is much lighter in color then the concentrate and was nearly half the price as well.

Are either good to use? Figured I could use a combination of both but before i proceed I would like some feed back

IMG_2300.JPG

Last edited:
So my next question is if the taste difference is better in one then the other would the better tasting bottle make a better product?
The fresh pressed is more than a third cheaper then the other one.

But they are both filtered.. so you lose any benefit from fermenting juice that has more fruit in it. But that said, the flavor of which unfermented juice do you prefer? Presumably that will make the cider you will prefer.

Bernardsmith,

I havent tasted them as of yet. Was just curious what might be the difference between the two.
The cheaper one is lighter in color and is "fresh pressed" and the more expensive is darker and and 100% juice from concentrate.

At Wally World the non-concentrate juice is $3.98 a gallon, Musselmans I believe, and the house brand from concentrate works works out to $3.60 a gallon.

I say get a gallon each, use the same yeast, whatever you choose, and do them both the same way. Taste will tell you which you like better. Maybe you'd like them blended after the best. Only one way to know.

At Wally World the non-concentrate juice is $3.98 a gallon, Musselmans I believe, and the house brand from concentrate works works out to $3.60 a gallon.

The sams concentrate was 5.98 for 2 3 quart bottles and 3.98 for 2 3 quart bottles of the fresh pressed.

The concentrate was darker in color and much sweeter.

I wanted to take a hydromenter testing of them both but this was my first time doing this and I guess I underestimated how fragile the hydrometer was and it broke already. Placed an order for 2 more so I have. Back up.

So my next question is if the taste difference is better in one then the other would the better tasting bottle make a better product?

Yes, usually. There are exceptions, like real cider apples; those taste terrible if you just bite into them, but after fermentation they make an awesome cider. But as far as store-bought juice goes, yes; the better it tastes before fermentation, the better it will taste after fermentation.
Regards, GF.

Yes, usually. There are exceptions, like real cider apples; those taste terrible if you just bite into them, but after fermentation they make an awesome cider. But as far as store-bought juice goes, yes; the better it tastes before fermentation, the better it will taste after fermentation.
Regards, GF.

That's not necessarily true, even by your own explanation. It might taste better as juice to drink, but that doesn't mean it will taste better after fermentation. An awesome cider made from tannic, sharp, bitter apples would likely taste tannic, sharp, and bitter before fermentation. That's not exactly considered good tasting when you are drinking a glass of it.

I think the more intense and flavorful the juice is, the better the end product will be. But that might not be the best tasting.

Back