Difference between flaked corn and flaked maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megalodon77

Reaction score
My homebrew store only has flaked corn in right now and my recipe for a cream ale calls for flaked maize. Anyone have any experience in the differences between them when brewing?

There should be no significant different between flaked corn (American English) and flaked maize (U.K. English).

I know they're essentially the same thing but I had the people there tell me I might want to mash a bit longer

How long total mash time? I mash my cream ale at 148* so I usually extend the mash to 90 minutes. That doesn't have anything to do with the corn, though. I've gotten packages that said 'Flaked Maize' and packages that said 'Flaked Corn' but I've never seen any practical difference at all between the two.

The flaked corn/maize are pre-gelatinized so they should mash like any other addition. Just throw them in for however long you would be mashing the rest of your grains as it is. They may even work faster.

Back