difference between "2 Row Malt - Briess" and "2 Row - Pale Ale Malt"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I've used both as the base of IPAs and they're both really good. You shouldn't have any problems.

Cool thanks.

I bought two kits (bluemoon and two hearted ale). Each came with "two row".

I biab, so I usually buy 1 lb more of base grain (did this with two hearted since it's 12 lbs two row) or I adjust overall recipe to a lower efficiency (did this for bluemoon since it's nearly 50/50 white wheat and two row with smaller amounts of Munich and 6 row). This way I hit my OG.

So I got 1 lb and 0.5 lb of those different two row grains specified in original post. It sounds like Small differences probably won't make a huge difference in overall recipe.

Thanks!

From what I have read the lightest color kilned grain is Pilsen malt, followed by brewers malt, pale malt, pale ale malt and then Munich and finally Vienna and these all have the ability to convert with Vienna having only enough enzymes left intact to self convert. Each step lighter in the kilning leaves more "excess" enzymes to convert other grains.

I use pale ale malt in all my pale ales - no crystal malt. I think the pale ale malt already has a little caramel flavor and doesn't need the crystal malt.

From what I have read the lightest color kilned grain is Pilsen malt, followed by brewers malt, pale malt, pale ale malt and then Munich and finally Vienna and these all have the ability to convert with Vienna having only enough enzymes left intact to self convert. Each step lighter in the kilning leaves more "excess" enzymes to convert other grains.

I thought Vienna was lighter than Munich? I guess it also depends on if it's light or dark Munich.

Latest posts

Back