Didnt use starter and over shot og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-rok

Reaction score
So a Baltic porter, my 3rd batch was supposed to be 1.065 og and was actually 1.072 I didn't make a yeast starter because I was expecting to be under 1.070. Should I pitch more yeast tomorrow? I used a wyest Irish ale yeast smack pack. Should I let it ferment a little longer, like 10 days?

don't worry about it... it'll ferment fine. If you do anything ferment at a little bit cooler than norm. (60-65) and give it the normal 2-3 weeks in the primary. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful result.

It will likely have a 2-3 day lag time So just know that and don't start a new thread about it.
PS Liquid yeast should have a starter for OG above 1.025/ 5 gallons.

the research i did said 1.070 for a starter, however, i will use a starter from now on once I buy the equipment (what do I need?) cooler fermenting is impossible (80 F in FL) the house is at 75 F. I could put it in the kegerator (40 F)... Also, seems that baltic porter are usually lagered, what is the difference doing it ale style?

Mrmalty.com is the resource for determining yeast count. I wouldnt rely on anything else.
To ferment at a lower temp you simply submerge vessel in water and use/rotate in soda bottles of ice (swapping out for others in freezer-- search: swamp cooler).

the research i did said 1.070 for a starter, however, i will use a starter from now on once I buy the equipment (what do I need?) cooler fermenting is impossible (80 F in FL) the house is at 75 F. I could put it in the kegerator (40 F)... Also, seems that baltic porter are usually lagered, what is the difference doing it ale style?

You won't be able to keep things within style at that fermentation temp (except maybe a Saison). Ester production will be pretty high giving a lot of fruit character you may not want.

1) Cool it in a water bath OR
2) Use a brewbelt-type device to warm it in the kegerator (to 67 for ale's).

I'll bet a water bath will work fine for you, use a towel or large shirt draped around the fermentor and make sure a portion of it is in the water, this acts as a giant wick and the evaporation will cool the beer. You can augment this with a fan blowing across it for even better cooling.

You will need some type of temperature control unless you don't mind your beer not tasting like it should.

Swamp cooler is the cheapest. It is not too hard to keep the temperature relatively stable. In the summer in Rhode Island, I had to swap ice bottles 2-3 times a day though. I hope to have a fermentation chamber built before this summer.

Adding: Also with liquid yeast, a pack/vial will ferment your beer. A starter will help the yeast by beginning the process with enough cells. I will make a good tasting recipe better. I make a starter for ALL my beers. Again, mrmalty.com has the information that you need. Also there are YouTube videos on making one.
You will need a vessel of about 2 liters which is big enough for most starters and a stirplate will make things easier. You can make one for $10-$15.

Ok, using an old fridge in my garage. It doesn't have a temp controller so I am turning it on letting it run then turning off. Seems like I have to spend $ 60 on a yeast starter kit (flask, lid, food, stir plate) and another $70 on a temp controller. This hobby is so expensive, after fermenters, kegs, couplers, mash tun, hlt etc I am in close to $1000 and I still don't have all I need

Ok, using an old fridge in my garage. It doesn't have a temp controller so I am turning it on letting it run then turning off. Seems like I have to spend $ 60 on a yeast starter kit (flask, lid, food, stir plate) and another $70 on a temp controller. This hobby is so expensive, after fermenters, kegs, couplers, mash tun, hlt etc I am in close to $1000 and I still don't have all I need

I wouldn't fret over all that. A stir plate is super easy to make can be made for about 10 bucks if that from a cigar box (free at cigar shops) old power pack from cell phone or house hold electronics, a computer fan and magnets from the hard drive of an old computer (most recycling places have piles of old computers laying there, take one) if you want to get fancy radio shack had on off switches and potentiometers for varying the speed for a few bucks. I use an old gallon cider jug instead of a flask when i do make starters. the stir bar was the most expensive piece at 5 bucks. as far as temp controls... they can be made. although I found a Johnson unit on craigslist for 35 bucks and have seem them cheaper. Just need to be patient.

This hobby will allow you to spend very little or like anything spend the farm... i know a lot of guys who use a bucket of water and place their fermenter in it with a towel and a fan blowing on it. they make damn good beer. Be creative and it will come together eventually. Also might check out some of the guys posts who modded the internal temp controller on their freezers. Seems like that might be an option too. :mug:

so, got the batch into an old fridge in the garage, it goes down to about 50 and I shut it off let it sit till it goes up above 70. I am hoping that will keep the beer in the fermenter in an acceptable range. I am assuming too cold slows the yeast but they come back once the temp rises...

edit: will that temperature flux cause off flavors? will it stall fermentation?

I started fermentation on 3/8 and beersmith says i should transfer to secondary on 3/12 and keg on 3/22, does that seem way to soon? I was planning on 14 days primary then transfer to a keg for secondary and cold crashing after another week.

Racked to secondary today. FG of 1.02, estimate was 1.017 should that be expected because I overshot OG?

Latest posts

Back