Didn't oxygenate wort before or after pitching. Is it to late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lickcreek79

Reaction score
First time brewing tonight and everything went smoothly. I used a five gallon kit that has dry yeast I rehydrated it for a Lager so I used two packets instead of one per instructions, but it said nothing about oxygenateing prior to pitching. It's been in the 6.5 gallon glass carboy for roughly two hours. What to do or do nothing? Thanks in advance.

I forgot to aerate my first three or four batches (aside from transferring to the fermenter) and they all came out tasting very good. All of them had very good and active fermentations. Aeration isn't nearly as important with dry yeast as it is with liquid yeast. You should end up with beer when its all said and done. Welcome to the hobby!!

Unless you managed to rack the beer from the kettle to the fermenter without splashing or creating any bubbles you should be fine.

The act of transferring from one container to another is usually sufficient to provide enough 02 for the yeast to get started.

What he said. I must have started typing about the time Bamos posted.

Unless you managed to rack the beer from the kettle to the fermenter without splashing or creating any bubbles you should be fine.

The act of transferring from one container to another is usually sufficient to provide enough 02 for the yeast to get started.

What he said. I must have started typing about the time Bamos posted.
Thanks for the quick reply, I did my transfer through a ball valve and hose, my kettle Brewers beast brand has a drain so I did put the hose at the bottom of the carboy . I guess we will see what happens.

I have kegged and chilled and carbonated a beer before i realized it was only like 1.030 from 1.050.

To fix it, i syphoned it back to the fermenter, readded new yeast and aerated with oxygen and ended up getting it down to 1.012.

I think aerating with oxygen is highly underrated and way more effective then regular air. While it wasnt my best beer, it was drinkable.

I have kegged and chilled and carbonated a beer before i realized it was only like 1.030 from 1.050.

To fix it, i syphoned it back to the fermenter, readded new yeast and aerated with oxygen and ended up getting it down to 1.012.

I think aerating with oxygen is highly underrated and way more effective then regular air. While it wasnt my best beer, it was drinkable.
That's a good way to oxidize your beer! Although it may have been drinkable, it surely is not wanted!
Once alcohol is present there should be no more exposure to air/O2.

Thanks for the quick reply, I did my transfer through a ball valve and hose, my kettle Brewers beast brand has a drain so I did put the hose at the bottom of the carboy . I guess we will see what happens.
Next time let it splash into your fermenter. Or use one of these at the end of your siphon/racking hose:
1800.jpg

https://www.morebeer.com/products/siphon-spray-wort-aerator.html

That's a good way to oxidize your beer! Although it may have been drinkable, it surely is not wanted!
Once alcohol is present there should be no more exposure to air/O2.

Ya, I wouldn't recommend adding oxygen after you keg, but better to have oxidized beer over non-oxidized 1/2 fermented wort.

Ya, I wouldn't recommend adding oxygen after you keg, but better to have oxidized beer over non-oxidized 1/2 fermented wort.
No it's not! There are much better ways to resurrect a stalled fermentation, without oxidizing the beer.

^^^ What RM said, at least if it is a Fermentis strain of dry yeast, no need to oxyegenate if first time pitch at recommended level. It will be better beer if you just leave it alone at this point. Sometimes I do use O2 if the starting gravity is well over 1.060, or add an extra packet.

First time brewing tonight and everything went smoothly. I used a five gallon kit that has dry yeast I rehydrated it for a Lager so I used two packets instead of one per instructions, but it said nothing about oxygenateing prior to pitching. It's been in the 6.5 gallon glass carboy for roughly two hours. What to do or do nothing? Thanks in advance.
How did you transfer to the carboy? chances are you transferred by hose and as it trickled in it aerated . It'll be fine. As long as the temp is in the yeasts working range. Nothing to worry about. Welcome to the forum

Back