Didn't hit pre boil gravity, how much DME to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
So in trying a rye IPA. My pre boil was supposed to be 1.054 and I got 1.035. How much DME should I add to my boil to compensate for the loss? I usually get AWSOME results, but this is my first rye IPA. I did everything right and hit all my targets, what happened? Starting boil now, please help!

45 points per pound per gallon for DME. (54-35)*6.5/45=2.7 lbs

6.5 is what I assume is your pre-boil volume. Adjust as necessary.

Was it 1.037 at 150F?
If so did you do a temperature correction or keep a sample to measure at the calibration temperature?
If not, does your refractometer have temperature correction?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Was it 1.037 at 150F?
If so did you do a temperature correction or keep a sample to measure at the calibration temperature?
If not, does your refractometer have temperature correction?

No it was at 61F. I have a PVC tube that I put ice water in, then place my sample tube inside it. Cools my samples in around 5 min. I don't use a refractometer, old school hydrometer. I have found correcting for temp. Is inaccurate and samples should be cooled.

Thanks for the help, but it came 16 hrs too late :). I ended up throwing in a pound of DME and ended up with a post boil gravity of 1.050. I was shooting for 1.063.

So I found out the problem, well problems. My manifold came undone a little and I had some grain trapped under it that did not get properly stirred. I have re glued and fixed. Also, I found my grain did not get crushed good enough. I was in a hurry to get my brew done, and didn't check my grain b4 mash. I always do but spaced it. My LHBS usually does a good job, but she must have been in a hurry as well. I checked my pile of grain after cleaning out tun, and there was quite a few curnels that wernt properly cracked. I let her know and she said I will get my next grain bill half off. I love my LHBS, a little old lady that has run it out of her house for 20 years. She also does wine stuff, cheese making stuff, and soda pop making stuff.

So in trying a rye IPA. My pre boil was supposed to be 1.054 and I got 1.035. How much DME should I add to my boil to compensate for the loss? I usually get AWSOME results, but this is my first rye IPA. I did everything right and hit all my targets, what happened? Starting boil now, please help!

Terek, you said you hit all your targets. What targets did you mean? Missing the OG by that much, I would have thought you'd see a low gravity right in your first runnings.

Terek, you said you hit all your targets. What targets did you mean? Missing the OG by that much, I would have thought you'd see a low gravity right in your first runnings.

Perfect Temps, perfect times, and perfect volumes. I pulled a sample from the very first bit of runnings and it was low on gravity

Perfect Temps, perfect times, and perfect volumes. I pulled a sample from the very first bit of runnings and it was low on gravity

Crush could cause low mash efficency or not mashing long enough. First runnings are supposed I be the highest from what I've read. I can't believe you had so little sugar. Well it will make a nice light easy drinking beer. Maybe focus on what each grain tastes like as a runner up prize.

You can still hit gravity now, by adding the correct wt. DME to a 2nd keg & racking in from the first. ( Something I do regularly in brewing when I want to tweak the flavours or dry hop etc.)
For Oxygen elimination I'll use a CO2 cylinder to pump the brew from one keg to the other.. just shove the brass end on the hose into the airlock hole... the rubber gromet seals well enough to pressurise.
Racking into a 2nd keg around a week or so after fermentation has completely stopped; then leaving in the 2nd keg for a month ,allows a LOT of the suspended yeast to settle out & a cleaner keg fill.. less yeast in the keg gives a much cleaner pour in the end.

Latest posts

Back