Didn't boil priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newzymology

Reaction score
I was in the process of getting set up to bottle and realized I hadn't added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket. I put the 4.5 oz. of sugar in a bowl with water in my microwave for 5 min. and then did a quick cool of the water in an ice bath. I dumped the solution into my bottling bucket to find most of the sugar stuck to the bottom of the water bowl. I added more water and stirred before adding it to the bottling bucket and then finished adding the last three gallons of brew to the bucket with my autosiphon. It should be stirred well enough, right?
The only thing I can think of is that I didn't heat the water enough. I was out of the room when it finished so I never actually saw it boil.
Second guessing myself now that I have it in the bottles.
:(

There are two reasons to boil:

#1: To help ensure a uniform mixture

#2: To help kill off any baddies in the sugar

It's probably ok but whenever in doubt I put the bottles somewhere safe (cooler, big box, etc.) and am very cautious when handling them.

5 min in the microwave would kill most everything in the water.

Yes, you should stir the sugar into the beer.

I've not boiled the sugar a few times and nothing has happened. The only reason I prefer to boil the sugar is to thoroughly mix the sugar into the beer.

I've not boiled the sugar a few times and nothing has happened. The only reason I prefer to boil the sugar is to thoroughly mix the sugar into the beer.

If that is your only reason then you could just rack -to- bottle from your fermenter after measuring sugar out per bottle(like3/4 tsp or less).This cuts out moving your beer twice and saving a sanitation step also unless measuring per bottle is a chore.
I kinda dont understan why we sanitize or need to sanitize sugar because most dont sanitize hops after fermentation for dryhopping, unless differnet microbes can live on sugar that are different from hop microbes.

Well hops are kind of naturally anti-bacterial, that's why beer headed for India was highly hopped ;) also, I cold crash my beer before I bottle, and if your a tea drinker, you know that sugar does not dissolve in cold liquid well. So I need to dissolve the sugar into my cool beer otherwise I'm, left with a puddle of sugar in the bottling bucket after I've bottled my beer.

Latest posts

Back