Didi my wyeast smack pack get broke during transit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyetube

Reaction score
It looks like my smack pack is slightly swelled and I cannot seem to find the vial to break. Did it get broken during transit and if so, is it still usable? See picture below:

I don't have any extra dme or lme for a starter. Am I chancing it by just pitching what it is at 70°? I wanted to brew tonight (extract) and with the yeast starter it'll be 24-36 hours before I can brew.

Just fyi, the yeast arrived to my place on Wednesday and got immediately put in the fridge and wasn't pulled out until today about an hour ago.

Just an FYI for anyone interested. Apparently the smack packs are known to sometimes swell slightly upon transport but that doesn't affect them. When I opened the smack pack, the nutrient pack was intact and hadn't been broken so I broke it with a sterile knife and let it mix and tossed in fermenter.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/frequently-asked-questions/?website=1#r204

Back