Did my LHBS screw my batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoMarky

Reaction score
Went to the store to get all my supplies for a Berliner Weiss. Was happy to hear they had lacto bacteria cultures from White Labs. Got home and after pitching realized what I had been given was Malolactic bacteria rather than Lactobacillus bacteria. It seems the malolactic bacteria is used to convert malic acid in wines to lactic acid. What should I expect? Is there even any malic acid in beer for the bacteria to convert?

I did an 8 gallon batch split between carboys, pitched 3/4 of the bacteria into one, 1/4 in the other. The one with 3/4 of the bacteria is emitting a quite strong sulfur-esque smell that almost burns the nostrils. The 1/4 seems fine, slightly sour smelling.

From a quick google search, it seems that Malolactic bacteria describes a group of lactic acid bacteria used in wine making to do what you described. Wikipedia suggests that this is typically Oenococcus oeni and not Lactobacillus. What effect this will have on your beer, I don't know.

dang, hope it turns out ok for you. but this does bring up the topic of LHBS incompetence. it seems like your average subscriber to this website knows more than most of the lhbs workers i've talked to do. like the one time a guy at the lhbs was trying to get me to buy black patent malt when i wanted roasted barley. he told me they were the same thing, only the black patent was darker. i said to him, "actually i think the roasted barley isn't malted while the black patent is," but he wouldn't change his tune and i walked out.

malolactic fermentation can be used to make a butterscotch-ey flavor in Chardonnays. (I recall that from hanging out with wine snobs at a wine tasting). If that's true, you could end with a buttery diacetyl off flavor. I'd research further to make sure before u consider dumping it. Or as is generally advised, take a chance and see how it turns out.

I only trust recipes from one LHBS after a shop near me completely screwed up a recipe that I asked about... It's not as bad as what you are dealing with, but I was still bummed out and pretty heated about the mistake.

I went back to the store and talked to the guy on my way home from work, he said "You should have told me what you were trying to do" to which I replied how did you not pick up on it after i asked you how to pronounce "berliner weiss," purchased only pilsner and wheat malts, and discussed what type of yeast to use for a berliner veiss. However, alls well that ends well, and since there is no malic acid present in beer we both assumed the bacteria would do nothing. Went home to check and both batches tasted like a hefeweizen. I think I will add some campden just to stabilize everything, then back-sour with 88% lactic acid solution he gave me and perhaps make a small "wort-tea" with some acidic malt to throw in there for some extra sour complexity. He seems to know what hes talking about, it just takes him a while..i think perhaps hes a home-grower on top of a home-brewer. :drunk:

I don't know about you guys, but I always check the labels on the stuff I buy at my LHBS. I've never had any problems but I always make sure I end up with the right yeast and hops.

There's 2 LHBS's that I go to. At both of them it is completely self serve. If I get the wrong item it would be my fault. Based on these responses, it sounds to me like other LHBS's get everything for you, and you can't get the items yourself.

Am I mis interpreting the posts,or do you guys not have the freedom to grab what you want?

There's 2 LHBS's that I go to. At both of them it is completely self serve. If I get the wrong item it would be my fault. Based on these responses, it sounds to me like other LHBS's get everything for you, and you can't get the items yourself.

Am I mis interpreting the posts,or do you guys not have the freedom to grab what you want?

i think a lot of times, lhbs storefronts are limited in size. so they may run out of a particular grain in the front but still have some in the back. so if you don't see something you can say "hey man, looks like you're out of roasted barley, do you have any in the back?" and they can be like "oh sorry dude, that was it," or "yeah man hold on and ill grab you some," or "here, use the black patent, its the same thing."

Back