Did my hop go male on me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorrow

Reaction score
The plant seemed to be doing well, growing 6-8in a day. We water in the mornings, early before the sun is out. It's in a whiskey barrel, I don't have a good spot to put it in the ground, and it's been growing up the trellis pretty steady. But today I noticed these, and I thought from years ago when growing hops that this was the sign the plant went male and there would be no cones. Any ideas? Thanks.

KJs3Hhe.jpg

u8dw01c.jpg

No those are female burrs. Male flowers are what you see in my profile pic (which, admittedly, might be hard to make out at the scale that's at).

The plant seemed to be doing well, growing 6-8in a day. We water in the mornings, early before the sun is out. It's in a whiskey barrel, I don't have a good spot to put it in the ground, and it's been growing up the trellis pretty steady. But today I noticed these, and I thought from years ago when growing hops that this was the sign the plant went male and there would be no cones. Any ideas? Thanks.

KJs3Hhe.jpg

u8dw01c.jpg
nope, those are the burrs ,the actual flowers,they will turn into the hops soon. I asked the same question a week or so ago. I have a couple nice sized hop cones on my Mt Hood .My Crystal is covered in burrs like that and its only my first year growing hops. Hallertauer is starting to burr . Tettnanger nothing yet... I check mine every day ...sometimes twice a day... They are growing fast and its not uncommon for me to train them around the cable twice a day.
Those look nice.

Agree--these are very young cones. The spikes will continue to grow out and broaden to become the leaves/petals on female hop cones.

Thanks guys. It's been several years since I tackled growing hops and I must have mixed up what the male/female plants look like.

Back