Did my first triple decoction mash yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Been wanting to do one for years so yesterday finally was the day.

9 lbs - German pils
1.50 oz - saaz- FHW @ 60
1 oz homegrown hops - WP @180 degrees
wlp029

I had every intention of doing a double decoction but I doughed-in too low so it took 3 decoctions to get it to 150 degrees F. I just used the gear I already have which is a 3 vessel traditional cooler setup. Used my HLT to boil the thick mash in and kept the main mash in my igloo cooler and everything worked great. The only thing I forgot to do was leave the first decoction at 150 for 15 minutes. I heated everything on my stove top, so it did take it a while to go from 100 degrees F to boiling, so hopefully I got some convergence there. All-in-all I think it added about 2.5 hours to my brew day and I hit all the numbers I was aiming for. The wort is a nice golden color for it being 100% pils malt and had a nice sweet caramel taste. Pretty stoked to see how it's going to turn out! I might brew this recipe as a regular infusion mash to compare since I just made the recipe up and never have brewed it before but we'll see... I might just move on to the next one and enjoy it for what it is.

It's an oddly satisfying form of masochism. Every time I do one, I swear I'll never, ever do it again. A couple years later, though, there I am again, swearing I'll never, ever do it again.
Haha. I have already done exactly that and it's not even 24 hours later. Crazy to think people did that for every brew back in the day.

Been wanting to do one for years so yesterday finally was the day.

9 lbs - German pils
1.50 oz - saaz- FHW @ 60
1 oz homegrown hops - WP @180 degrees
wlp029

I had every intention of doing a double decoction but I doughed-in too low so it took 3 decoctions to get it to 150 degrees F. I just used the gear I already have which is a 3 vessel traditional cooler setup. Used my HLT to boil the thick mash in and kept the main mash in my igloo cooler and everything worked great. The only thing I forgot to do was leave the first decoction at 150 for 15 minutes. I heated everything on my stove top, so it did take it a while to go from 100 degrees F to boiling, so hopefully I got some convergence there. All-in-all I think it added about 2.5 hours to my brew day and I hit all the numbers I was aiming for. The wort is a nice golden color for it being 100% pils malt and had a nice sweet caramel taste. Pretty stoked to see how it's going to turn out! I might brew this recipe as a regular infusion mash to compare since I just made the recipe up and never have brewed it before but we'll see... I might just move on to the next one and enjoy it for what it is.

I enjoy doing them personally, I just pull a decoction off to a 3 gallon stock pot with a kitchen strainer and boil them in the kitchen and dump them back into the MT. It definitely extends the brew day, but I do notice a difference to my beers, especially in regard to body, mouthfeel and head retention (moreso than actual flavor).

I enjoy doing them personally, I just pull a decoction off to a 3 gallon stock pot with a kitchen strainer and boil them in the kitchen and dump them back into the MT. It definitely extends the brew day, but I do notice a difference to my beers, especially in regard to body, mouthfeel and head retention (moreso than actual flavor).
That's exactly how I did it as well and it worked great.
I noticed in the gravity sample the wort was definitely more caramel looking and it tasted like it too. If it turns out I could see myself doing it again once a year or so. I'd like to try it on a darker beer as well to see how it affects the end result there.

I noticed in the gravity sample the wort was definitely more caramel looking and it tasted like it too. If it turns out I could see myself doing it again once a year or so. I'd like to try it on a darker beer as well to see how it affects the end result there.

I'm planning a munich dunkel with a bonkers "historical munich lagerbier" mash that includes doughing in at ambient temperature and letting the grain soak, then a protein rest, then a beta rest, then an alpha rest, then a mashout ... should be a fun, but long brew day

We have an Oktoberfest party every year (except not this year) and my son and I do a single decoction for the Festbier. It's the only one I do. Since we brewed it before we cancelled the party, we have two kegs to drink.

I'm planning a munich dunkel with a bonkers "historical munich lagerbier" mash that includes doughing in at ambient temperature and letting the grain soak, then a protein rest, then a beta rest, then an alpha rest, then a mashout ... should be a fun, but long brew day
Yea thats a long day but will be worth it. Id love to taste a dunkel made that way.. I had planned on doing the same kind of traditional mashout thing and pulling all the hot wort, boil it, then add it back to the mash but by the time I did the 3rd and unexpected decoction I skipped it. Next time!

We have an Oktoberfest party every year (except not this year) and my son and I do a single decoction for the Festbier. It's the only one I do. Since we brewed it before we cancelled the party, we have two kegs to drink.
Not a bad problem to have! Sounds delicious.

I've started using a Digiboil kettle for my decoctions and really like it. A T500 boiler works well too but you need to bypass the thermo switch in the base to get them to boil. I've walked away and let it boil for 20-25 minutes and absolutely no scorching, but I decoct slightly thinner.

Back