Did i shock my yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefhead25

Reaction score
Maybe its me and cuz im a noob but i just brewed my first batch on saturday and all seemed to be well until tonight. i brewed a hefe and t began fermenting at about 14 hours, was good until i looked at the temp and it was 75 and i was hoping to have it around 68. Soooo... in an effort to cool i used some ice and added to the tub of water the glass carboy is in. before i did this i was getting about a bubble a second then it stopped dead. checking the stick on thermometer it read 55 and was up to 65 maybe an hour later. is the thermometer just reading the cold water or do i need to warm up the carboy to kick start. :confused:
thanks everyone

Well if it is a stick on thermo and it is under the water line, you killed it.

If it is above, and your wort actually fell to 55F, then your yeast probably fell asleep.

Take your carboy out of the frigid water, swirl it, and allow it to warm up to 68-70, and try to keep it there until fermentation resumes. then try and get your temps back under control.

Did you shock your yeast?, No, but you did put them to bed. RDWHAHB, you will have good beer soon, be patient.

BTW welcome to HBT from Tucson!

Thanks a ton I actually pulled it out after the post. I'veb een sittin' here watching family guy and my airlock. I'm getting a bubble about every 9-10 seconds now and i didnt swirl before, didnt know if i should but definantly will now. Thanks again

Yep, remember that the internal temperature is usually a few degrees warmer than an external thermo will show.

Latest posts

Back