Did I Screw Up My Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piernas

Reaction score
So I just made a starter (for a blue moon clone) yesterday around 5PM, and I opened up my closet this morning and it has crept all the way up into the airlock. I've made a number of starters the same way and never had this happen. Should I be worried?
A few details:
-I used 6 tsp. of wheat LME and 1 pint of H2O.
-the yeast is WL Belgian Wit Ale 400
-I used vodka in the airlock
-it is bubbling every 10-15 seconds, so it must have slowed down
significantly already
-the foam is no longer pushing out the top, b/c I can see through the neck of the bottle easily
-there is a layer of sediment inside the airlock, and it's actually much thicker than the layer at the bottom of the bottle, and the liquid in the airlock is now light brown.

Also, there wasn't any liquid outside of the airlock, which makes me think that (a) the vodka was pushed out and evaporated very quickly, or (b) vodka has been sucked back into my starter.
Not too stoked about possibly having to drive to the LHBS for more yeast, but it might be a good excuse to buy more supplies, I guess. Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry I wasn't able to upload a pic, but I'm not sure how to do it on here.

Wheat makes a foamy ferment. It blew out through the airlock. No big deal. If it is bubbling, your yeast finished up all the oxygen and has stopped growing and started fermenting. It is alive and well.

Thanks, Brewham. One thing that's bugging me now is that I'm not seeing anything sitting on the bottom of the bottle. There is a 1/4 inch layer of what looks like yeast in the bottom of the airlock, but nothing on the bottom of the actual starter. If the yeast has stopped growing, shouldn't there be a layer of it on the bottom of the bottle?

Maybe not at this point. It hasn't had time to start settling out. It has only been a little over 12 hours.

Latest posts

Back