Did I screw the pooch on my first starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I made a BIG starter...more than 3 quarts in two growlers with an OG of 1.050. I pitched the yeast (single smack pack of Denny's Fav) into the boil pot after cooling (~80*), then poured into sanitized growlers. It's bubbling away nicely, but did I start too big to do me any good?

Pitched at about 10pm last night, will pitch into new beer late this afternoon.
I've already resigned myself to pitching the whole amount, thus adding an unexpected 1.5# of DME to my beer.

I don't think I'd use all of your starter, 1.5# DME is certainly going to change the character of your beer. I think I'd let it continue to ferment overnight to build up your yeast count, and then extract about a half liter and use that. (assuming you're making 5 gallons)

moxcamel said:
I don't think I'd use all of your starter, 1.5# DME is certainly going to change the character of your beer. I think I'd let it continue to ferment overnight to build up your yeast count, and then extract about a half liter and use that. (assuming you're making 5 gallons)

It's a 9g batch, split into 2 ale pails. I think I'm going to have to use all of it since it started out as only 1 shank pack, and I don't want to under pitch.

Back