Did I save my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
Although I hate to admit it I made yet another stupid mistake. I was planning to brew a Festivalworld Belgian Dubbel and I had read it was for 23 liters when I ordered it. So with that figure in mind I made my starter and all, filled the fermenter with all the ingredients and added water to the 23L mark however after closer inspection the manual says. Add to the 23 L mark (18L for Belgian Dubbel). Oops that is an overfill of 5 liters pretty huge.

I figured I could toss it or try to rescue it and decided the latter. I opened my cupboard and there was 500 grams of amber DME in there and thought that might help, I also found a 16oz 453 grams package of Golden syrup, and used that as well. mixed all well and ended up wit OG 1065, pretty close to the intended OG. I also ordered 23/18*the amount of supplied hops and added that to the brew after a week. and left it in for another week.
Ended up with FG 1008 wich is also pretty close to target so I was feeling a bit relieved at this moment. Bottled it this weekend and it smell totally delicious.

What do you guys think, did I save this beer or might I expect a dissappointment in a couple of months?
Recipe:
Festival world Belgian dubbel
2x1.8kg LME supplied in the kit
0.5 kg Amber DME
454 grams of Golden Syrup
35 grams of Styrian Goldens hop pellets
+/- 400BL celss of Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

Any imput is appreciated, thanks in advance
Remi

Back