Did I ruin my equipment?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0psnobery

Reaction score
A few months ago I brewed a Goose Island Sophie clone with Brett B. I just learned that Brett is used to make sour beers and that many people have dedicated equipment for there sour beers. Will my future beers made in the carboys and kegs I used be funky? If so, is there any way to get the funk out? The Sophie is long gone and I have 8 carboys and kegs, so I don't know what equipment may be contaminated. I've already had brewed one of my standard rotation beers that normally tastes great come out a little off. What should I do?

I've brewed with Brett B in a bucket - so more likely to have scracthes and such, and have since used the bucket for normal beers, no flavor issues, no souring. Brett B isn't a magic bug, you do have to sanatize it like regular, but that is it. I use a contact sanatizer (Idaphor, random pickup at store over Star San).

Define a little off for your beer that is off.

As for sanatizing, one reason for using different containers is that we sanatize, not sterilize, and some things (xfer hoses, keg lines) are harder to sanatize imo than buckets or carboys.

From what I understand, using separate equipment for sours is something guys do to err on the side of caution, but not imperative. I'd say clean your equip thoroughly, perhaps a double cleaning session. Any cheap buckets and tubing, I'd toss or save for more sours.

1. Will my future beers made in the carboys and kegs I used be funky? Perhaps, anything plastic most likely will be contaminated as the "bugs" live in porous things such as plastic... if it is glass or SS you will be fine with a nice cleaning. Note: My keg lines are vinyl therefore I do not send bugs through there... if I did they would be dedicated to those types of beers.
2. What should I do? Don't worry, just clean everything VERY well and keep going is what I'd do.... in the future dedicate all plastic/vinyl equip. to your sours/funky beers.

Cheers!

BTW, hopefully someone else can build on my answers for you =)

Give the beer you just brewed from your rotation to a friend with a good palate and ask him what he thinks - don't put any ideas of bugs in his head, just simple ask for feedback. If he doesn't detect anything off it's prob the power of suggestion - either that or bring it the homebrew shop and let them have a look at it.

Give the beer you just brewed from your rotation to a friend with a good palate and ask him what he thinks - don't put any ideas of bugs in his head, just simple ask for feedback. If he doesn't detect anything off it's prob the power of suggestion - either that or bring it the homebrew shop and let them have a look at it.

or.... send all the current batch to me for research :p

In all seriousness, Good luck!

Back