Did I ruin my beer/no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkbo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made the HopNog kit from Brewer's Best, but added liquid yeast instead of the dry that came with the kit. About18 hours after pitching yeast, NOTHING was happening--no bubbling airlock, no krausen no nothing. Threw in the dry yeast and aerated. Twelve hours later, I'm the airlock is bubbling pretty well--about once every couple of seconds. What are the chances that my wort got infected prior to the yeast establishing themselves?

What are the effects of having two different strains of yeast in the same batch?

Um I could be wrong but it's my belief that one will outcompete the other. What kind of liquid yeast did you pitch.

you didnt wait long enough for the first yeast to start. next time make a starter and pitch that or use two packs of yeast buts its much cheaper and better to just make a starter.

I used white labs California Ale. I asked the local homebrew shop if I needed to do anything special--he just told me to leave it on the counter during the boil (a little more than an hour) and pitch when the wort was cool. It looked like absolutely lifeless this morning. Next time I'll give it longer to get started. It was my first beer and I was a bit paranoid.

Consider doing a yeast starter next time. Super easy, very effective. Just need a stir plate, stir bar, flask, some dry malt extract and boiled water. Fermentation begins faster

You don't even need a stir plate or stir bar to make a starter,all you need is a container to put it in. Boil 16oz water with 1/2 cup dme for 5 minutes,chill and put in container with yeast,some people use sanitize aluminum foil others will use a stopper and airlock, give the container a swirl several times a day.

Back