did i ruin it?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
so apparently I had a pretty mean buzz last time I transferred my beer and when I went and put my air lock together I forgot to put on the little dome piece that goes on the inside of the air lock.so basically it has been sitting open to the air in my fermenter cabinet for probably a month now.here is a pic of what it looks like.it doesn't look very good to me but I want to get others opinions.thanks in advance for your reply's.

20150614_170631.jpg

Looks like lacto or brett.

Both will change the flavor over the long haul. May not have much impact for a while.

Ok to drink.

It is infected. No way to tell what it is. You cannot identify an infection by the pellicle. The only way to really know what it is is to look at a sample under a microscope. Of course that is beyond most of us

At this point all you can do is ride it out and give it a taste. Often unintentional infections do not taste good. If it tastes good then let it ride for a while to make sure it is done and then you can bottle it. But sometimes these bugs can take a brew quite low. So until you are sure that it is done then it can be bottled.

Otherwise you may have a dumper.

Good luck.

Back