Did I ruin 15 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherdan

Reaction score
Had 10 gallons of California common and 5 gallons of a DIPA reach FG. Dryhopped the DIPA and forgot to tape the temp probe to the side of the fermentor.

The temp went up to 80 degrees for probably less than 24 hours. What should I expect?

With fermentation finished I don't expect that 80 for a few hours would cause any flavor issues at all. Proceed with crash and keg and make a process change to ensure that you reapply the probe next time.

You can probably expect some good beer.

Ramping the temperature near the end of fermentation is a good thing. I usually ramp my brews to 85°F for the last few days. This gives the yeast the opportunity to consume undesirable fermentation byproducts that they ignore at lower temperatures. This end-of-fermentation temperature ramp is commonly called the Diacetyl Rest.

yeah, im surprised how big of fluctuation there was not having the sensor taped to the fermentor had.

I fermented at 61 degrees for 14 days and had perfect numbers. the temp sticker n the fermentor was as 80. that means that I dryhpped sunday evening around 5 and in 24 hours it rose to 80 ive got it back at 60 and plan the crash starting tomorrow

80 degrees??? For almost a full DAY??? It's surely ruined, send it to me for proper disposal.

But seriously, as others said, temperature is really only crucial during the first 3-5 days of fermentation. After you've hit FG, you'd have to have wildly high temperatures (i.e., 120+° F) to cause off flavours (such as killing off the yeast, causing autolysis). You're perfectly fine. Bottle it up and enjoy!

lol. Thanks.

I did notice airlock activity in the DIPA, who knows maybe it will finish lower than the 1010 it was at.

The common was at 1007 already and very clear. I just didn't want any funky flavors from the temp increase.

Back