Did I mess up my first brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewildt

Reaction score
This is my first batch brewing. I brewed this last night, added the yeast and put the batch in the glass carboy. Here is the recipe I was following.

This is supposed to be a variation of a Stone IPA, in the end I will be kegging the batch.

Grain Bill

13 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
Hop Schedule

1 oz - Magnum (75 Min.)
1 oz - Centennial - at Flameout
2 oz - Centennial - Dry Hop in secondary
Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

I followed everything correctly but was told by a friend that instead of putting the 1 ounce centinnial at flameout, I should try dry hopping.

I was planning on 1st fermentation for 1 week, and second fermentation for 2 weeks.

I still have the 3 oz total of Centennial hops left, and am wondering when I should add them in?

One person told me to put 2 oz in right now (morning after brewing) for 1st fermentation, and none for second fermentation. Another told me to put 1 oz in now for first fermentation, and 2 oz in for second fermentation. Another told me that putting hops in the second fermentation will make the beer rather hazy. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

You're fine.

You usually want to dry hop for aroma, so you will want to wait until fermentation is done (vigorous fermentation can drive off some aroma).

My advice?

Let it ferment for 2-3 weeks, then rack to secondary with 1-2 oz. of Centennial for 5-7 days, then bottle.

Latest posts

Back