Did I mess up? Carbonating with yeast cake/trub still in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I recently got the spike conical, and my first batch in it was done fermenting this week. I cold crashed it wednesday/thursday (it's in an upright freezer), then last night I put on carb stone attachment and hooked up CO2 @ 10psi to carbonate it.

This morning I realized I never dumped the yeast/trub, so it's still in there. Is that going to do anything crazy to the flavor? The carbonation stone is on racking valve, which is mostly or possibly completely above the yeast cake.

Should I give it time to let it settle again since it maybe got all stirred up?

Stirring up the yeast cake shouldn't hurt the beer, no, it had that yeast all over in it for some time. So long as you didn't add any oxygen in, you're going to be fine. I'd definitely drop that cake/trub off now, and then let it sit for a while to clarify again a bit. Maybe cold crash the beer in conical if you can, if not it will have some increased sediment in the bottle/keg but that's going to settle off just fine too once it gets chilled.

It's already cold crashed, sitting at 38. I did that wed/thurs before putting CO2 on it. So you think just pull off the CO2, let settle for 24 hours then dump and transfer into keg?

I'd try and dump the cake/trub now, then let it sit for 24 hours or more to settle back down, and then transfer, yes. Then you have less yeast in the fermenter when you transfer to the keg. Only what's in suspension will settle back to the bottom. You'll stir it up a touch dumping, but get most of it off at that point.

Back