Did I make a mistake in bottling this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conversely,you'll have to be carefull how long you leave the caps slightly vented. You could wind up with little or no carbonation.

I'm thinking of just letting them ferment out then use the Carbonation drops by Coopers.

I would have them nice and warm to encourage the fermentation and remember you added fermenatbles so raised the gravity when you added your priming sugar. I would expect FG to be around 1.016 with the DME but that is purely a guess.

OK - so I go to check the FG again after 48 hours in the chamber @78-79.

All bottles have been slightly uncapped, however my hydro sample is spitting up bubbles from the bottom. Huh? Carbonated already? Even without a tight seal?

Yikes. How will this affect my Hydro reading?

The hydrometer measured it at 1.022. This is with carbonation and the sample at 77 degrees. Adjusted for temp alone should move it to 1.024. Considering this started at about 1.028, I am pretty pumped and it seems to be working...

...that is, unless the carbonation is playing tricks on me.

(Picture on LEFT is before the experiment. Picture in MIDDLE is after suspected fermentation with carbonation. Picture on RIGHT was also just taken but about 20 minutes later - the FG is definitely lower, 1.020 or so. Maybe Carbonation not so bad?)

Thoughts?

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

photo.jpg

Quick update - and I need some advice.

I checked gravity again and it is the same as the last picture - roughly 1.020 with a temp of 77. So, should be around 1.022.

It's been here for a couple days.

Is it safe to say the yeast is done (I'm thinking maybe I didn't aerate enough - it was the first time using a carboy)? Should I add more yeast to each bottle? If so, anyone have a guess as to how much?

OR should just reseal the bottles with a carbonation drop and just accept this high FG as a fact of life - or a fact of poor aeration or crappy yeast?

I could use any advice on this one.

My 0.02.... Leave them vented for another week. Then add coopers to carb them and recap with new caps and use O2 absorbing caps since you've exposed these guys to more O2 than desired. The coopers can take quite a bit longer to carb than normal priming sugar so be PATIENT.

Now, RDWHAHB! And good luck!!

Wow all these comments and most of you are overlooking the fact that he substituted the sugar with DME...THAT IS WHY IT FINISHED SO HIGH!

If the gravity didn't change in 7 days at temperatures over 70 degrees F...YES IT WAS DONE FERMENTING. Relax and have a brew!

Wow all these comments and most of you are overlooking the fact that he substituted the sugar with DME...THAT IS WHY IT FINISHED SO HIGH!

If the gravity didn't change in 7 days at temperatures over 70 degrees F...YES IT WAS DONE FERMENTING. Relax and have a brew!

I mentioned it in the 4th reply. But I've also had beers that were stabilized over time in the fermentor that became overcarbonated in the bottles due to putting the yeast back in suspension, just a jump start with the priming sugar, or different temperature. That's why I told him to be careful.

It was mentioned, but it actually looks like the OP added the appropriate amount of DME per the instructions, but omitted a cane sugar addition, which as you noted would cause it to finish high. Additionally the FG readings have all been taken post-priming sugar addition, so it's pretty difficult to determine the actual FG. But, very likely it is done fermenting.

roxy35, you may end up with a Tripel that is a bit sweeter (or not as dry as the BJCP style guidelines, fwiw) but it'll be a drinkable batch of beer that you made. I'd finish your packaging procedure, maybe put the bottles in a rubbermaid bin covered with a towel to alleviate any worry about bottle bombs and in a couple weeks, refrigerate. Even if they are highly carbed, once chilled down they won't blow. You learned some things on this batch that will help on the next one, chalk it up to on-the-job learning. And, patience is probably the most difficult skill to master in homebrewing. Cheers.

Back