Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buchsenr

Reaction score
I brewed up a Fat Tire Clone on Sunday. I bought the ingredients the week before and forgot to put the yeast (WLP 001) in the fridge, so it was at room temp or slightly below for a week. I didn't make a starter because I'm not that smart yet. I haven't seen any real signs of fermentation since I pitched on Sunday evening. I honestly don't think I missed it because there is no crust on the fermenter, yes I know this is common mistake. There was a bubble or two from my blow-off tube when I moved it around a bit. I switched to a regular airlock so I could monitor it better. There's now a bubble about every 2 minutes. I have a pack of Nottingham's dry yeast ("for just such an emergency "-Foghorn Leghorn); should I rehydrate and toss it in? I was going to use a secondary and brew another batch pitching it on the remains of the yeast in the primary. Could I just add the Nottingham's to the secondary? Funny, I've been doing this a year now and I still have so much to learn. Any help is appreciated.

Wait it out, the yeast is multiplying and will get going soon. Some died by being left out, and didnt get a chance to multiply in a starter, so they have to the the wort. It will start going soon, as long as you see bubbles in your airlock, no worries.

Thanks. This is the first time since my first batch fermentation as been slow. I have blown the top off more than once. Do you think I should still rack over to the secondary after a week or wait longer?

Best way to tell is to take a few hydrometer readings and if they are the same rack to secondary. That being said, I've made this kit before and would say you are safe for secondary if the krausen has receded

Thanks again. I'll keep an eye on it. Hopefully I can still go to secondary.

Back