Did I kill my Wyeast by pitching it into a 90º Must? (Oopsie)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Smajda

Reaction score
I accidentally pitched two packets Wyeast 4184 (sweet mead) into must that was 90º last night.

(Drink mead while you make mead they said, it makes it more fun they said...)

Im thinking, that shouldn't be TOO hot for it right? My only concern is that Im not seeing a lot of activity in the must. Sure its only been about 14 hours, but I can't see ANY activity in there. Its dropped down to 76 overnight.

Two packs of Wyeast 4184 Sweet mead. SG 1.076 (1 gallon of honey in a 4.5ish gallon Must, 5 gallon carboy.)

Back when I was using dried yeast, I would proof it at 90*, so you're fine.

90C would be a problem, but 90F wouldn't.
Did you add a nutrient and aerate?
LOL. Sorry for the non clarification. Yes 90º F
Didn't really add nutrient. I was under the impression that nutrient was part of the Wyeast smack pack.

Wyeast brewer's yeast does have malt wort in the nutrient packet, I'm not sure what would be in the nutrient packet for mead yeast and if it would be enough to support yeast throughout fermentation.
90°F is not lethal for yeast, especially not for top-cropping yeast, but it probably got a temperature shock which is still less than ideal.

One day cleaning my ferm chamber i misplaced heat and cold cables of my temp regulator and put a yeast starter with S-05 inside, next day i looked temp was at 122 F:(,i thought i killed my yeast but i decided to go on and switch to a correct temperature of 77F to finish starter, pitched that yeast and it worked like a charm no issues and it was a vigorous fermentation, it was coincidence?, Good Luck?, A chapter of Unsolved Mysteries?, maybe we never know :drunk:.

Back