Did I go to far this time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer yesterday and the OG came in at 1.070.

Here's the recipe

6 Lbs Wheat LME
3 Lbs Amber LME
1 Lbs Carapils steeped
1 Oz Hallatrau at 60 minutes
.5 Oz Willamette at 15 minutes
1 Oz Hallatrau at 5 minutes
Wyeast 1214 Bavarian that I started Thurs night.

The 1.070 kinda scares me. I'm hoping for a light, refreshing summery tasting beer that'll kick your butt. I'm reasonably certain the the kick your butt part will happen but I'm concerned about how it will taste.

1.070 is pretty high for this beer but if you ferment it at the low end (around 65F) then you shouldn't have a problem. Let is stay in the primary fermenter for at least a week (two is better) after fermentation is finished as determined by your hydrometer. It'll be a little a little alcoholic but it'll taste just fine. You can call it your LPR (liquid panty remover) brew.:D

Wow... Thanks for the fast, positive responses. I keep my fermenters in a freezer with a heater that I have set to stay at about 62 degrees +/- 5 degrees. The carboy says it's 72 now, but the thermometer in the freezer says that it's been as cold as 57 degrees and as warm as 65 degrees in the last 24 hours so I should be good for my fermentation temps. This is my fourth beer now and 2 of the other 3 came out really good so far. The first one was, MEH....

I'm thinking of adding some raspberry to about 10 of the bottles at bottling time just for kicks. How would I do that? Just pasturize some jam or something?

Get some raspberries... I used 2lbs for 5 gallons... pasteurize them on the stove... 150F or so for 10 minutes, then drop that mush in your secondary.

The Pol said:
Get some raspberries... I used 2lbs for 5 gallons... pasteurize them on the stove... 150F or so for 10 minutes, then drop that mush in your secondary.

I don't want to do it to the whole batch. Just a couple of bottles... I have some friends that like fruit flavored beer and that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

My self? I like beer flavored beer.

Back