did I ferment too high ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbgv

Reaction score
I bottled a batch of NB English Pale Ale 2 1/2 weeks ago..stuck with NBs kit,except I added 1 lb extra of DME..between primary and seconday,it was almost 6 weeks before I bottled..Nottingham yeast was used...stick on thermometer showed 67/68 degrees,except the 1st 2 days when it hit 71..since bottling it has been kept at 68...I tried[I know its still green]a small test bottle and it had a cidery/yeasty taste..Did I ferment too warm?? and will this taste clear up with more ageing ?

Wait... you added a pound of DME between primary and secondary? All fermentables should be added to the wort during boil. The secondary is typically used for clearing or dry hopping. Now you just going to have another yeast cake in the bottom of your secondary. Might get some off flavors from that.

no no no no...I added it the boil when there was about 15 mins left...wort was in the primary and secondarys for about 6 weeks..sorry if I confused..

I dont think you fermented to high. I keep my ales anywhere between 67 and 73 usually. Some days it may hit 75, but for the first couple of days when its high with fermintation activity, I try to keep it at around 70

Yeah, in the sixties it will take a bit longer to carb and finish up consumption before settling out.

RDWHAHB

All will be well in another 2 or 3 weeks.:mug:

I've only done one batch that I felt went too high. Got up to probably around 75 degrees ambient in the basement. Once I realized that it was getting too warm I got the fermenter into a waterbath and started a rotation of frozen ice packs. However it was exposed to rather high temps for approx the first 48 hours of primary. The beer turned out very successful, however there were subtle hints of fusel alcohol. I suspect that the fact that it was a stout helped mask that a little, and it was still very tasty so I couldn't complain much. It was my error after all. Live and learn.

Back