Did I dodge an infection? I hope so!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FVillatoro

Reaction score
Hola mates,
Here I am hoping that someone can hopefully put me at rest with a prior experience with this:

So I brewed a brown ale with washed yeast and kegged it on Friday. When I opened the lid I noticed what appeared to be a few little ice bergs (what I now think is lactobacillus). I thought nothing of it, tasted the beer and it tasted fine and the FG was steady for a week already.

The yeast of this batch was washed and used to ferment my latest beer on Sunday- a robust porter.
The following day I go clean up and I noticed that the sealed jug of remaining washed yeast had a white layer ontop of it and I looked it up, and surely- it looks like lactobacillus.

At that point I freaked out and thought of my porter and brown ale. I tasted the brown ale again and it's fine... if it's infected itll be very slow and probably wont notice it.
But I was worried for the porter. I added yeast nutrient during the boil, pitched some extra healthy yeast that I had from another batch, and I aerated with pure oxygen and it has been bubbling away for a few days now.
Today (4 days into fermenting), I opened the lid and took a sample. Uppon opening the lid I noticed that it had a nice krausen layer and no off smells. I tasted it, and it tasted sweet and hoppy like I expected- no sign of infection or sourness.

Question: I think that the yeast displaced any bacteria that might have been mixed with it, and the 37-40IBUs of the beer will inhibit growth.
How long should I expect to see signs of an infection?

Thanks so much guys and I will revise my sanitation and check out my equipment and possibly replace some.

Could be lacto, could be brettanomyces. I've seen brett make an iceberg pellicle as well. Assuming it's lacto, nothing should happen at 40IBU. Even if it does it makes hardly any, if at all, CO2, so shouldn't be a big problem.

If it's brett, you could have a big problem. Give it an extra week or so, and if it attenuates more than expected, give it a good long time to make sure the gravity is done dropping. Think like 3 months or so.

Either way, I wouldn't reuse that yeast again.

I tasted the brown ale after 2 weeks in the keg and under co2 and it does not taste sour. However, it does have a weird slightly rough bitterness that i've never tasted before - could be old/bad hops - i'll just let it condition for longer.

The porter is done fermenting after nearly 2 weeks and I read a FG of 1.014 (where i want it) and upon removing the lid it looked fine - that's getting kegged today.

I let the infected yeast along for a week and took this picture to show the infection - any guesses as to what it can be? Thanks:

Infection.jpg

It very well could be brett, but it's hard to say from a pellicle. I've had brett pellicles that looked like that, though. I wouldn't bottle it at that gravity - it might attenuate more, but you should be ok in a keg.

It very well could be brett, but it's hard to say from a pellicle. I've had brett pellicles that looked like that, though. I wouldn't bottle it at that gravity - it might attenuate more, but you should be ok in a keg.

Oh yeah if I were bottling it could go BOOM lol

I dumped the yeast out and I left some equipment soaking in oxyclean and will replace somethings.
I was getting a little too lax on my sanitation and it's time to step it back up.

THanks for the reply:mug:

Back