Did I Clean My Bottles Properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Tho

Reaction score
Just bottled my first batch of beer. After reading some of the threads on this forum I'm wondering if I properly sanitized my bottles before filling them. I was in a bit of a rush and basically just quickly washed them with a bottle brush and some chlorinated TSP solution. I scubbed out each bottle quickly with the brush and solution, then rinsed quickly and filled them with my beer. Some of the bottles had mould in them before cleaning and I think I got most of it but it's kind of hard to tell with the dark bottles. I know I probably should have soaked them first and taken a little more care but I didn't and now I'm wondering how it will affect the brew. What do you guys think? And how would I know if the beer is bad? I assume it would be pretty obvious, right? Also, would it be a problem if there was a little water from rinsing left in the bottles when I filled them?

Thanks!

PS-All the bottles I used were my own empties so at least I know there was nothing too funky in them.

Cleaning only is not the best practice. You should clean and then sanitize with a no rinse sanitizer. I rinse them thoroughly after use, soak in bargain brand oxyclean over night and then use Starsan immediately before filling. I had been soaking the bottles in the Starsan but just bought a vinator. It's a little unnerving compared to soaking but I trust in the collective wisdom of HBT that the vinator is effective.

They call it no rinse for a reason. Don't rinse it. If mixed properly, it won't hurt the beer.

You MAY be fine but you also may get some infections.

The part that worries me the most is you said "I think I got most of it but it's kind of hard to tell with the dark bottles" You can't just think you got all the mold out. That mold with definitely ruin the beer. Hell, even if it doesn't ruin the beer would you want to drink the beer after it has been sitting with mold for 2 or 3 weeks?

The best way I have found to clean bottles is soak them in Oxiclean over night (longer if you have stuck on labels). Use a bottle brush and then let them soak in clean water for a few minutes. Pull them out and rinse. Let dry upside down. Now those bad boys are clean as can be. If not using them right away, put tin foil on top and store. When you need to use them, use a sanitizer and fill.

Nothing you can do now. Just let them condition for 2 or 3 weeks and taste one. If it tastes good, drink it. If you find a bad tasting bottle, throw it out and try another.

If the beer is not good it'll be obvious, yes? Is it possibly that'll it'll make me sick?

I usually just rinse my bottles out with water quickly after I open, just to rinse any beer or get out any yeast residue. Then I just let them dry. When i'm about to bottle, I soak them in star san for a few minutes before I put my beer in. Has not failed me yet.

If the beer is not good it'll be obvious, yes? Is it possibly that'll it'll make me sick?

Yes you will know if it isn't good.

No it won't make you sick but if it is bad you definitely won't want to drink bad tasting beer anyway.

I usually just rinse my bottles out with water quickly after I open, just to rinse any beer or get out any yeast residue. Then I just let them dry. When i'm about to bottle, I soak them in star san for a few minutes before I put my beer in. Has not failed me yet.

If you just finished the bottle a good rinse and dry will be fine. The problem is the OP didn't rinse them and let mold grow in them.

When I bottled, I did try to rinse my bottles so I didn't have to clean them every time. If I forgot to rinse some, I would soak those in Oxiclean. I did try to at least clean them after every 5 or so uses even if I did rinse them.

Cleaning only is not the best practice. You should clean and then sanitize with a no rinse sanitizer. I rinse them thoroughly after use, soak in bargain brand oxyclean over night and then use Starsan immediately before filling. I had been soaking the bottles in the Starsan but just bought a vinator. It's a little unnerving compared to soaking but I trust in the collective wisdom of HBT that the vinator is effective.

They call it no rinse for a reason. Don't rinse it. If mixed properly, it won't hurt the beer.

+1 on this method. BTW, Dan's has everything mentioned in this post. Worth the money while you're bottling.

Sanitising properly and treating your yeast nicely = great beer.

h22lude said:
Yes you will know if it isn't good.

No it won't make you sick but if it is bad you definitely won't want to drink bad tasting beer anyway.

If you just finished the bottle a good rinse and dry will be fine. The problem is the OP didn't rinse them and let mold grow in them.

When I bottled, I did try to rinse my bottles so I didn't have to clean them every time. If I forgot to rinse some, I would soak those in Oxiclean. I did try to at least clean them after every 5 or so uses even if I did rinse them.

Yeah I got ya. Guess I didn't read the full post.

I make sure my original bottles are clean. After that, I only rinse when emptying, and rinse on bottling day with a jet washer and sanitize for each reuse. I've never had a bad bottle.

While we're on this topic; how do you guys go about cleaning your fermentors? I've just been cleaning them with dish soap and sanitizing them using the same solution I used for my bottles (the chlorinated TSP). I have the usual white bucket primary and a glass carboy secondary. It seems to work fine but just out of curiosity what do you guys use?

I use buckets and rinse them with a garden hose connected to a jet sprayer to knock all of the crud loose. I then make a hot solution of oxyclean-free and rub the fermenter down with a paper towel soaked in this solution. I then rinse the fermenter, dry it out with more paper towels and then store it for it's next use.

When I use the fermenter the next time, I just rinse it with tapwater and then soak it with iodophor solution right before I dump it and fill it with wort.

I put 3-4TBSP of PBW in the fermenter,then fill it with water & stir to mix completely. Put the lid on loosely & let it soak for 3-5 days. I like to let the cleaner do the work of getting that greasy funk off the inside. Then us a paper towel after that to wipe it clean. Then drain & use aquarium brushes & a little more PBW solution to clean the tap. I dry it off & put it back on my brew stand till needed again. Then I sanitize it right before filling with fresh wort. I use star-san. Both star-san & PBW are made by Five Star Chemical Corp.,& are designed for brewing equipment. I wouldn't use Trisodium Phosphate for cleaning food equipment. I used to clean the oily stains off concrete driveways with that stuff.

Back